Bad Frame-rate and Frame-time in Editor

In the UE4 editor, I have been experiencing very bad frame-rate and frame-time no matter the version I am on. When I am using UE4 the frame-rate will be a constant 120 fps and 8.33 ms frame-time and all of a sudden, sometimes only after seconds of use the frame-rate will drop all the way down to 20-50 fps and have a frame-time of 40-50 ms. The bulk of this bad frame-time comes from HZB on the GPU. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when this happens. Sometimes Alt+Tab or doing certain things in the content browser will temporarily fix the problem but it comes back within a minute or two every time. All of the previously mentioned issues happen on a any project and level, even if they are completely empty. I have also found that the issue does not persist if the project is played in a separate window or as a standalone game.

Things I have tried:

• Different UE4 versions (4.17+)
  • Disabling Nvidia In-Game-Overlay
  • Trying the editor in both full screen and windowed mode

Specs:

• Intel i5-6600k @4.2ghz
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 (Latest drivers installed as of 7-31-18)
  • UE4 running off on a non-OS 1TB WD Blue HDD 7200rpm
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Monitor is running the editor at 1440p, 144hz, with g-sync.

Notes:

• None of my PC components thermal throttle
  • I have not modified the engine in any why except for the Quixel and Substance plugins

Have you tried switching off (or uninstalling) GeForce Experience?

I had this problem since I updated my drivers a couple of weeks ago and getting rid of it helped.

Hmm, I’ll try experimenting with different Nvidia Settings. I don’t think uninstalling GeForce Experience is an option for me as I need its drivers to properly run many of the games I play.

YES! This fixed it for me as well!
(removing GeForce Experience did help as well, but didn’t get rid of it completely)

Thank you!

I found the solution to the problem! Going into the Nvidia Control panel and switching G-sync to “Enable G-sync in full screen mode” (or completely off) instead of “Enable G-sync for windowed and full screen mode” resolved the issue.

Glad I could help! It’s such a relief to have it fixed.

thank you, this is still a problem in 2021… jeez. GeForce Experience and the Gsync

I’m on AMD and I’m suddenly having this problem

It could potentially be AMD Freesync causing the issue since the technologies are similar. Try disabling it in your Radeon settings and see if that helps.

Good to hear!

For now I updated my GPU drivers (a new update came out last night) and I changed the RHI to DirectX 12 and it seems to be working ok, fingers crossed!

I had also tried the UDP fix but it didnt do anything