Autosave constantly interrupting development!

The autosave should not interrupt (prevent interaction) while it is happening, when working on a small project it is not so much of an issue but if I’ve just imported several hundred assets and I’m checking I don’t need to reimport them I really do not want to have to sit there for ages unable to interact with UE4 every 10 - 15 minutes.

You CAN turn autosave off, but I shouldn’t have to. I think it’d be better if autosave worked in the background and didn’t “steal” focus and prevent any sort of interaction, or at the very least fix the ‘cancel’ button so it doesn’t just cancel the file it’s saving but the whole process. Sometimes I do not get a popup warning me it’s about to save either it just goes right ahead.

I have to admit, this is a pet peeve of mine too.
Obviously autosaves in other programs using a load of content tend to be a bit slower as well and I am not sure if anything can be done about it…
But it would be so… soooo sweet if UE4 could silently do it on the background.

Hello Chaoss,

I have been looking into the autosave issues that you are experiencing and to me it seems to break down into two concerns.

1. The autosave function steals focus from anything else that is going on causing a disruption to workflow by “stealing” the focus from other programs that the user may wish to use during that time.

2. There is an option that forces the autosave function to stop saving the file that it is currently saving, but there is not an option to stop the entire autosave process once it has begun.

The first issue has been addressed in Jira ticket UE-10994, the second is adressed in Jira ticket UE-842. Both issues are being worked on and I will make sure to keep you updated if there are any updates or major changes to those tickets. If there is anything else that I can assist with, or if I have not covered an area of this feature that you would like to have addressed just let me know and I will check it out for you.

Thank you for your patience while we work out these issues,

Thanks for the quick response, I’m glad these issues are being worked on as it seems really awkward to have to disable such a useful feature.

A suggestion I’d like to throw into the mix is to make it work the same way as baking lighting does, where it happens sort of in the background.

I’m glad that I could assist. your suggestion has been noted, and will be considered as a possible solution.

As always if there is anything else that I can help with just let me know,

Autosave still interrupts everything. I’ve just been naming an asset and some 0.1 second popup came up, stole focus, and reset what I’ve been writing

1 Like