Autosave Bug/Feature?

Hello all, been working with UE4 since it was set free. Autosaves have been a great asset in my development, especially when testing things that may push the system to its limits.

Recently with the release of 5.0 proper, I noticed a repeatable bug, or maybe feature? When the editor goes to autosave, SOMETIMES it fails or gets interrupted and then when I do a “save all” I get the below popup.

At first I couldn’t figure out what was going on because the map I’m working on is indeed saved and if I make a change, save, and reload it, the changes do save. So I go to the menu pictured below…

And I get this screen,

Basically it looks like it failed to save the autosave from, I don’t even know how long ago, and it wants me to save it manually? But… I don’t know how old it is so I just want to “get rid” of the autosave since it’s not relevant anymore.

I can’t dismiss this popup window whenever I do a “save all”, and I do a “save all” every time my fingers flow over the left side of the keyboard (CTRL+ SHIFT + S) so I end up with this popup multiple times a minute once this bug/feature happens. The only solution I have found is to close the whole editor and launch it again. Changing maps or anything else I’ve found inside the editor still prompts me every “save all” to save the autosave? Sounds silly to me, because this never happened prior to 5.0 proper.

Any help would be appreciated.

This has been happening to me continuously the last few days. The auto save will start failing after an hour or so and when I try to save all or close the project I get the same error as you.

Does it let you just perform the save as Untitled and continue? For me it will infinitely prompt me to save a new level as Untitled. I tried seeing how many times it would keep prompting me and I ended up saving 12 levels before I just force closed the editor. I can manually save the actual level fine but it’s really annoying getting a giant message log on my screen every time it tries to auto save and getting trapped when I try to close the editor.

4 Likes

I’ve never tried just saving it as another map file. But I did notice that it has been happening specifically when it tries to autosave while I’m not focused in Windows 10 on the editor’s window. So for example if it’s minimized and I’m doing research for awhile outside the editor, when I come back, it fails the autosave and then I forever have this popup until I shut down and restart the editor.

2 Likes

Yup, same problem here. The way I do it, make sure all my items and maps are saved, then I just choose “Don’t Save”, seems to work for now. Maybe it is a bug?

I’ve always seen the auto-save as a mini-game - how quickly can I get to it to cancel it before it saves…

But yeah, appears to be a bug…

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Wondering if turning off autosave will help. Hoping someone with more experience will weigh in

2 Likes

Would very much appreciate someone to investigate this issue, as it seems to be the source of a fair number of crashes caused by weird package changes - and it’s very annoying!

I turned off autosave in the editor settings and am still getting the issue. I even tried manually deleting the autosaves folder in the project folder and it let me delete most of it but some .uassets are hanging on for dear life. Hoping an editor reboot and choosing to not save the autosaves will do the trick…

Same issue here, and funny enough was on a migrated file… So I didnt know any better, and now I have a half dozen copies of my main level (as I thought new file names were pertinent) and it seemed to corolate to how many ‘times’ the project autosaved. Was able to see this after a project restart, and noticed in the listing I saw ‘Autosave 1, Autosave 2, etc.’ (or to that liking)
Definitely a bug… I would say it has to be. But when I do larger modifications to other assets, seems like it could get mixed in and become an issue.

yeah, same

yeah, Same for me
I think it is a bug that need to be fixed.

This is till an issue.

Yeah same thing is happening to me, I don’t know what’s causing it, it’s a pain in the backside.

Same here.

Still an issue here

Still getting this issue on 5.1

Still getting this issue for me too.

How has this not been fixed yet? Is there a bug report for this?

1 Like

It’s happening to me also in 5.1. Though saving into a dump folder temporarily isn’t a huge inconvenience, it’s still annoying to have unnecessary copies of a level.

2 Likes

This bug is still present in 5.1. As it’s been told it appears after approximately 20 mins working on the project. The main issue is that changed materials and objects properties have to be saved manually and there is a risk of losing progress without saving it.