Auto complete not working in Xcode - suspected due to space in UE install path

I have done a first time install of both Xcode and Unreal Engine onto my MacBook Pro. Following a tutorial I notice that auto code complete does not work for most code options. I had tried re-creating the Xcode project and also starting Xcode by clicking on the project file. Neither of these worked for me.

I had a few posts suggesting that autocomplete won’t work with Xcode if Unreal Engine is installed into a location containing spaces. It appears that the latest unreal (4.15) is installed into the path:

/Users/Shared/Epic Games/

As a test I renamed the folder ‘Epic Games’ to ‘EpicGames’ (removed the space). I could no longer start UE from the launcher but I could start it manually (/Users/Shared/EpicGames/UE_4.15/Engine/Binaries/Mac/UE4Editor.app)

Auto complete now appears to work (after reindexing had completed, which took ages).

I don’t recall the option to choose the install location when I first installed it, and I don’t know how to uninstall unreal to check. I’m sure renaming is not the right answer but I think it shows the cause of the issue.

Is there a way to install into a working location without spaces in the path that will not break the launcher?

Thanks,

Hey

This is a known issue that you can find here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-42234) . As mentioned in the report, this issues is currently open and unresolved.

Cheers

Thanks .

Good to know it’s not just me!

There is a link in the issue link that you posted above where one of the comments suggested that creating a symlink would allow the launcher to work, while still allowing Xcode to work without the spaces in the path. I’ve just tested it briefly with a new project and it does appear to work.

For future searchers I’ll repeat the steps here:

cd /Users/Shared
mv “Epic Games” EpicGames
ln -s EpicGames “Epic Games”

Cheers,

Something went wrong with for formatting of the code in my reply above. Trying again…

This appears to fix the issue by allowing Xcode autocomplete to work as well as the launcher.

cd /Users/Shared
mv "Epic Games" EpicGames
ln -s EpicGames "Epic Games"

Cheers,

thanks for this. i got it working as well.
really appreciate it

actualy that does not work anymore
i now have to reinstall ue4
just a warning in your using 4.17

edit: actaully dont use this at all
i now have to reinstall the epic games launcher and unreal
this is very bad. DO NOT USE THESE COMMANDS

The commands are reversible. Just delete the symlink and mv EpicGames back to “Epic Games”.

I have the following directory ->. users/shared/unrealengine. this is the folder

the path: /users/shared/unrealengine/ue_4.24. but intellisense in Xcode still does not work.

I have the following directory ->. users/shared/unrealengine. this is the folder

the path: /users/shared/unrealengine/ue_4.24. but intellisense in Xcode still does not work.

I wonder if you have solved it
I’m doing it right now

This simple fix worked for me!