Attempting to build Unreal Engine 4.27 on the Steam Deck fails during final link

Hello! I am trying to build Unreal 4.27 on my Steam Deck, which uses Arch Linux. I followed the instructions on the Linux Quick Start page and everything seemed to go well until the very end, when I got some linker errors that appear to be related to Bink.

Here are the errors I am receiving:

Building UE4Editor...
Performing 2 actions (8 in parallel)
[1/2] Link (lld) libUE4Editor-BinkMediaPlayerEditor.so
ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: setup_rhi
>>> referenced by binkplugin.o:(gpuapi) in archive /home/deck/Repos/UnrealEngine-4.27-chaos/Engi
ne/Plugins/Media/BinkMedia/Source/SDK/lib/BinkUnrealLinux.a

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: shutdown_rhi
>>> referenced by binkplugin.o:(gpuapi) in archive /home/deck/Repos/UnrealEngine-4.27-chaos/Engi

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: createtextures_rhi

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: begindraw_rhi

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: enddraw_rhi

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: selectscreenrendertarget_rhi

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: selectrendertarget_rhi

ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: clearrendertarget_rhi
clang++: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make: *** [Makefile:1188: UE4Editor] Error 6

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Hi,
for all the people of future suffering with the same error… I solved it by switching from the “master” branch to “4.27” branch.

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/tree/4.27

Hope this helps.

I have the exact same issue when trying to build the branch 4.27-plus on kubuntu 22.04.1 with kernel
Linux linux 5.15.0-46-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 4 18:03:25 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
after a clean clone, using depth=1 and -b 4.27-plus

1 Like