Attaching Blueprint to Camera but freezing rotation

Hello!

I’m in unreal 5.3 trying to attach a blueprint to a camera. I need the blueprint to only follow the transforms of the camera, not the rotation.

I have the Blueprint attached to the camera in the sequencer, and I’ve attempted to set the blueprint rotation to world in the details/transform panel but its not working 100%, and I cant find any other methods. Even within the attach properties setting the rotation to world doesn’t lock it.

Any help is massively appreciated!!

Cheers

Greetings,

Okay, so the reason this issue isn’t as simple as you feel it should be is why my response isn’t going to be as simple as you expect it should be.

I need further clarification of what you’re trying to do.

Let’s say your Blueprint is BP_Supercats. You have a flying/moving camera that BP_Supercats is attached to, that moves along with the camera. However, the camera may roll, yaw, or pitch along its axis, but you do not want the Supercats to?

However, the method that you used to attach the two is through the Sequencer using the “Attach” function here:

Is this a correct deduction?

If so, there’s a few ways you can achieve what you want.

One way is like this, where you grab the CAMERA from the LEVEL SEQUENCE and attach your BP_Supercats to it in BP_Supercat’s Blueprint, making sure to keep the “Rotation Rule” as “Relative”, and the “Location Rule” as “Snap To Target”.

1 Like

Yeah sorry I should have been clearer about my setup!!

The BP I’m using is the Underwater BP V3. For my uses, the light shaft/god rays light the scene and make it nice and murky, but are only working well at a very specific height within the BP;

• too high the god rays disappear and the scene becomes very clear
  • too low the god rays become incredibly large and just fill the entire VP with blur and colour.

My workaround was to lock the BP to the camera, so regardless of position within the scene, the camera would remain in this “goldilocks zone”.

I’m really not familiar with BPs at all, so the above looks very much like what I need, I’ll test this first thing and get back to you!

One question I have is, as this will be used in multiple sequences, does the BP just grab any camera within the current level? Even if that camera is a spawnable?

Thanks for the quick reply!

No. Only the active camera. It is described in the photo.

So I’ve replicated this in the event graph but cannot get any results. Are there any extra steps that I require? I.e. does it only work when rendering, do I need to also attach it in sequencer, etc…

Edit: In Animation Mode, the Constraints will give the option:
LocConstrain

1 Like

Could you describe the steps to setting that up, please? This sounds very promising!

I was able to achieve this result but using actors and using the actor’s rotation control set to world… I assume either a bug with the blueprint or other… But this worked. Thank you so much!!

Edited above. There are built in constraints in the animation tab that will allow this without CR. Sorry for the brain fart.

We can still use CR do cool stuff, specially now that we can turn any SM into a SK.

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

I’ve got a follow up, there’s some minor artefacting from the blueprint moving with the camera on the X and Y.

As I only need the Z constraint to be followed, is there anyway to lock the X and Y location for the Actor being used to constrain the Blueprint?

Does it happen during playback?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.