Download

Attach player to rocket

Is it possible to use a rocket as a vehicle and some how attach the player to it?

I am still very noob, but, I’ve looked around and cannot figure out how to make it so that the player moves with the rocket.

Would this be similar to the vehicle tutorial?

Lots of ways to approach this, just depends… Sometimes its easier to hide the Player and attach a static-mesh of the Player to the Craft. Other times its best to use Attach-Actor-Actor / Attach-Actor-To-Component BP between Player & Rocket (player could even be a child component of the Rocket or vice versa). Its hard to give the best answer without knowing more about the results needed / your setup. For example, maybe setting the Player to a flying state first is a key part of the solution… Or maybe just keeping both actors separate, but moving the Player in tandem with the Rocket is ok, so long as they look attached (risk of jitter at high speeds).

I need to continue with education on using blueprints, but, I am gathering that setting up the nodes is where I will achieve this sort of connected state?
Not sure if you have ever head of StrangeLove in Unreal Tournament but this is what I would like to achieve. In these instances, It seems that the modders did what you suggested in the last sentence. Especially in UT99 there is a lot of jitter while in motion. Looks like **** but it was really fun.

Making both actors move in tandem sounds plausible. Will just need to figure out how to make them have the same flight path.

Suggest doing a few quick experiments. In Blueprints play around with the Attach-to-Actor BP node… Or if the rocket is more like a jetpack, maybe explore adding the rocket to the Character Blueprint as a component (component attachment etc). Or if the character doesn’t really need to move or look that ‘alive’, you can just hide the Player skelmesh and replace it with a static mesh attached to the Rocket. Try things out to see where the problems are. For example does the physics / anim state of the character play nicely with the movement or physics state of the rocket in-flight etc…