At first i liked blueprints, but now i hate them.

I’m agree with @Conkerballs
we don’t need more premade templates, what is really needed is to make “how to do that” easier to find, but i think its just a matter of time and marketplace.

[= ;359107]
Hi Innos,

This is something we are already working on (keep in mind that it is a work in progress):

Wow, that’s ! What’s your estimated time for finishing it up?
Epic is really one move infront :smiley:

[=]
Wow, that’s ! What’s your estimated time for finishing it up?
Epic is really one move infront :smiley:

API documentation is updated with major releases of UE4 to reflect the current state of blueprints. The information gets pulled automatically from the UE4 source code and compiled onto the list presented there. While it isn’t guaranteed to be an exhaustive list, this API gives a vast majority of what you will find within blueprints in the latest version of the engine and can be a great place to learn what is feasible with blueprint scripting.

[= ;359466]
API documentation is updated with major releases of UE4 to reflect the current state of blueprints. The information gets pulled automatically from the UE4 source code and compiled onto the list presented there. While it isn’t guaranteed to be an exhaustive list, this API gives a vast majority of what you will find within blueprints in the latest version of the engine and can be a great place to learn what is feasible with blueprint scripting.

So now with 4.9.0 which is about to get released, more blueprints will get exposed there. What I don’t really underestand is why you say that this API gives a vast majority and not everything… BP nodes are way too many and it needs the documentation I recommended above in order to work correctly.
I am a newbie to unreal and my experience with this is that I am totally lost… The only way to learn them is by watching video’s of how others do sth and I’m waiting in hope of someone might explain a few nodes in his tutorials so I can use them in my projects… I’m not talking about the obvious nodes who have a name of “Begin Play” of course…
So my opinion would be not to include a vast majority, but every node that exists…

[=Innos;359479]
So now with 4.9.0 which is about to get released, more blueprints will get exposed there. What I don’t really underestand is why you say that this API gives a vast majority and not everything… BP nodes are way too many and it needs the documentation I recommended above in order to work correctly.
I am a newbie to unreal and my experience with this is that I am totally lost… The only way to learn them is by watching video’s of how others do sth and I’m waiting in hope of someone might explain a few nodes in his tutorials so I can use them in my projects… I’m not talking about the obvious nodes who have a name of “Begin Play” of course…
So my opinion would be not to include a vast majority, but every node that exists…

The page is still an early work and is something that we are striving to fully reflect all available nodes in blueprints, but this will take time and may change depending on the current engine version. Are there any specific nodes you see lacking information? I’ll be happy to take note of these and pass that information on to the documentation team.

[= ;359509]
The page is still an early work and is something that we are striving to fully reflect all available nodes in blueprints, but this will take time and may change depending on the current engine version. Are there any specific nodes you see lacking information? I’ll be happy to take note of these and pass that information on to the documentation team.

Man, this is really why unreal engine is the no.1 engine! You can’t even think of expecting that in unity… Please give my special thanks to Epic Games management for having people like you around the forums!
Give me some time to check thorougly for some nodes I want and I’ll reply back here tomorrow.

Thanks again!

If you’re a newbie in UE4, you shouldn’t be lost my friend there is soo much out there to learn from tutorials.

The best type of learning comes from following a tutorial and then breaking/bending it to work the way you want it too. The above list generated has a lot of information to get anyone new started. If you’re wondering about something specific you should create a thread in the Blueprints section of the forum I’m sure a lot of us would be glad to tell you the node and how we have used it.

You should have an objective tho, say I want to rotate my character, I would want to ask what nodes should I use for this and why?

People blame documentation and while I agree it is important I believe the lack of direction doesn’t help when starting out.

[=Conkerballs;359523]
If you’re a newbie in UE4, you shouldn’t be lost my friend there is soo much out there to learn from tutorials.

The best type of learning comes from following a tutorial and then breaking/bending it to work the way you want it too. The above list generated has a lot of information to get anyone new started. If you’re wondering about something specific you should create a thread in the Blueprints section of the forum I’m sure a lot of us would be glad to tell you the node and how we have used it.

You should have an objective tho, say I want to rotate my character, I would want to ask what nodes should I use for this and why?

People blame documentation and while I agree it is important I believe the lack of direction doesn’t help when starting out.

Thanks mate. I’ll post there soon

By the way, if you dont have much experience in ue4, you could send me a private message with your gmail and i would add you into google hangout where are people can answer some of your questions or at least you could get some portions of dank memes from me :smiley:
If you an experienced user and want to share knowledge, send me a message, dank memes included.

[= ;359509]

Nice. I can’t think of any specific ones right now, but quite a few are in need of a sentence or two to describe a bit more precisely what it does.

i know one
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/BlueprintAPI/Animation/MontagePlay/index.html
doesn’t say what is that float
its montage basic time length, from start to beginning, ignore play rate.(which is doesn’t have any sense for me)

There are was a few more, but i cant remember one right now.

I’d like to state that I strongly disagree with the OP, and share my 2 cents. As a designer that has come from broadcast and Cinema 4D. I have to say that Blueprint is the closest thing I’ve found to Xpresso. The learning curve does ramp up past the initial easy part. But it really is all learn-able for people who need to work visually and aren’t savvy coders. Node base code systems, for any engine are VERY VERY important to the future of wide spread adoption of every new high-tech interface such as AR and VR. People need to remember that teams big and small from different walks of life don’t always have the luxury to hire a team of coders or even a single coder.

As real-time continues to carve out a space for it’s self as a medium for new business, there HAS to be an entry point for smaller teams, single individuals and everything in between. I believe Blueprint and systems like Blueprint represent just that. I agree that we can always use more documentation and examples of Blueprint in play to help soften the learning curve. But you have to admit the amount of knowledge and example with a little searching is fairly staggering compared to a year ago. It was fairly bleak then.

I have to work in Unity by day as an animator now, and it’s got it’s upsides, but as a designer and animator. I feel fairly crippled there for the moment because there isn’t a standard such as Blueprint that is just part of the default system. Animator’s should have more ability to expose, build and animate simple rigs on their own, and I just don’t feel that way in Unity.

Well, it’s not that easy, I’m afraid. Blueprints are code, it’s just a different visual form of the same logic. You have to cast, check for null references etc. - just without the hassle of C++ (Headerfiles, pointers, lack of syntactic sugar, manual memory management etc.). And BPs are great to setup events or prototype SIMPLE things, create materials or state machines.

But instead of typing, you now have to deal with space limitations and wires. Removing a node will prevent all following nodes from execution (why?). That doesn’t happen if you delete or outcomment a line of code. If you insert a branch node, the execution will also stop there, if don’t connect the ELSE-pin by hand. If you need more space in a script, you just press enter. Reformatting can be done automatically or with simple keypress. In Blueprint you will loose much more time for manual formatting and rearranging nodes. Let alone the problems with sharing code, refactoring or dealing with SCM systems.

Currently, it’s simply not possible to develop a full, complex game without opening pandora’s box and dealing with C++. Blueprints alone are just not scalable for bigger projects. You need a bunch of programmers, doing the heavy-lifting for you in C++ and expose that to blueprint. It’s not like Unity, where you can basically do anything with C#, use .Net-Features etc.

Long story short: IHMO C++ is NO replacement for a simple text-based scripting language, nor is Blueprint.

I think what most people really want is something like Javascript with static typing (and without some other quirks), along with a line-by-line-debugger, an evaluation box and Intellisense/Auto-complete, ideally within an integrated, simplified editor along with integrated documentation. Basically, something like VBA in better. This, or just C#. :wink:

That would make many, many people very happy. I am still hoping, that this will happen some day. Maybe in UE5. :slight_smile:

Actually this is interesting: people who think they cannot program actually can use Blueprint. But using Blueprint is programming as it is an activity that results in creation of certain behavior. So people who use Blueprint actually can program. They probably just don’t see the connection between the lines of code (in C++ or similar language) and the behavior they create. But Blueprint helps them to see the connection. Speaking philosophically, most of people probably can actually do much more than they imagine. The idea of understanding may be merely an idea of finding proper view.

In my opinion

It should be more modular, containing complete and defined features, like game mechanics, that may be infinitely combined with other ready to use features as showed in 's okudagram

many non-programmers like me have to reinvent the wheel all the time.

Anyway learn C ++ programming language seems to me be the best solution before you delve into blueprints.

Unlike the old Kismet, Blueprint is very agnostic and have very few game functionality, game mechanics ready to use, and either way you have to think using a programmer’s logic.

My opinion, if you have difficulty in understanding Blueprints, learn C ++ can be the best thing, only after that, then yes, Blueprints can be very handy and quick to mediate C++ functions in a practical and agnostic way.

~

After graduating with a Bachelors in CS, at first Iiked Blueprints… And now I LOVE them! :smiley:

Disagree with all the BP hate in this topic… Blueprints are great. As a programmer your most precious commodity is usually time, and so long as the game runs at 60 FPS, who cares? Personally I can usually write code faster than I can Blueprint something now, but BP’s are second-to-none for fast prototyping and giving artists the ability to demonstrate what they want to do.

Blueprints are also a fantastic learning tool for C++ Programmers, because it helps we/us/them/they get familiar with the UE4 API much quicker. I wouldn’t be half as competent with C++ as I am now without having BP as a reference at times (hell it’s better than the docs sometimes). You can either have power and flexibility, or lack of both in favor of total simplicity.

A lot of these suggestions sound like they’re asking for a glorified ‘Make my Game’ button, with a few options to tweak the outcome. I really hate that attitude towards development, it shows no passion at all.

I also disagree with all the Blueprint haters in this thread. As a C++ programmer, I love blueprints for prototyping things or implementing features that may change often or are only temporary. I tend to translate them into C++ after the prototype stage. This process has really sped up my progress.

As for non programmers, I know several who have found Blueprint quite easy. Maybe those people would make good programmers and thats why they understand it (programming is bimodal, people either get it or they don’t).

[=;361140]
Disagree with all the BP hate in this topic… Blueprints are great. As a programmer your most precious commodity is usually time, and so long as the game runs at 60 FPS, who cares? Personally I can usually write code faster than I can Blueprint something now, but BP’s are second-to-none for fast prototyping and giving artists the ability to demonstrate what they want to do.

Blueprints are also a fantastic learning tool for C++ Programmers, because it helps we/us/them/they get familiar with the UE4 API much quicker. I wouldn’t be half as competent with C++ as I am now without having BP as a reference at times (hell it’s better than the docs sometimes). You can either have power and flexibility, or lack of both in favor of total simplicity.

A lot of these suggestions sound like they’re asking for a glorified ‘Make my Game’ button, with a few options to tweak the outcome. I really hate that attitude towards development, it shows no passion at all.

I’ve seen some say BP’s != programming? Over the years I’ve used tons of scripting / OOP type’s with game programming and it’s relatively all the same… In UE BP’s you have Enums, Switches, Arrays, Functions, Variables, getters / setters etc. All the stuff you use in game coding pretty much.

How’s that not programming? To respond to your …

I agree, it’s great to get used to the API / Instant feedback and see what Epic will let you get away with. It has plenty of great explanations as to what’s going on, much better than the stuff VS dumps on you…

This is an irrelevant topic because Blueprints are essential for non coders, i have some example for you :
https://.com/watch?v=i5A73jmfvoA