Asus ROG + 980M's

Good news everyone, I had the chance to pick up an Asus ROG G751JY with a 4860HQ and 980M. As UE4 is a great test bench for torturing machines, it was interesting to see what would happen.

Anyway, pretty much all demos run 60FPS @ 1080P. It stays nice and quiet, baking / building is pretty quick and has plenty of space for all your files. The 980M is very much an impressive GPU…

On the whole, if you’re looking for a cutting edge laptop for Unreal Dev I can highly recommend.

Great! Nice to hear about laptops that actually perform well (30 fps is NOT acceptable anywhere).
I use a Dell Precision M4800 at work that runs UE4 pretty well as well, I wouldn’t want to use it as my main development machine, but it runs acceptable. It isn’t really made for games though.

More good news, no Nvidia Optimus :slight_smile: and all settings were @ Epic when testing. A couple of cons, weight for one it’s 4.8KG’s and battery life lasts around 1h - 1h 30 when maxed out and 4 hrs for general use.

But on the whole, nothing really to complain about. Also yes I agree, I had a 780M before this and it was struggling to say the least.

I’d always recommend people get a desktop for this level of proramming, but sometimes you do need to buy laptop.

The GPU in this is more powerful than a desktop GTX 770 and the machine as a whole is generally more powerful than most desktops, got to admit though it’s the price that’s cringe worthy.

Sure thing…

ROG---- NICE…that was my first choice. but i have no money…