Assistance recreating 3D UI Object from Old Gamecube Title

I’m looking to recreate an effect from an old-videogame as I’m working on a little spiritual successor type game for it, however I’ve hit a roadblock regarding the UI element here.

Timestamped (random video I found that shows off the UI)
https://youtu.be/mwIAjE9TABM?t=9

As you can see, here is a 3D-ish widget rendered in Viewport space that I would like to recreate. Now, the concept is simple. Create an origin point, create 3 3D widgets to rotate around it, sounds simple, right? The only issue I’m facing I’m sure is super simple to solve and I’m just missing it somehow. This “turntable” I’ve taken to calling it needs to be rendered in viewport space, or in the very least attached to the player’s camera without any form of clipping occuring. How could I attach this 3D widget to the viewport space in the most optimized manner?

I’m not 100% sure that’s a 3D widget.

It looks more like a baked animation

I thought so too. I checked the UI files and it has 3 separate textures for each UI bar, and it has zero baked animations for that, so it is most definitely, unfortunately, a 3D widget.

Are we talking about this:

Why do you think you need a widget component for this? When you say 3d widget, do you mean you want it to live in world space? Because it’s pure 2d judging by the animation.

Create an origin point, create 3 3D widgets to rotate around it, sounds simple, right?

The official name for this is a carousel menu. But none of this is 3d, not here. It’s just a scrollbox. If you want to incorporate more nuanced behaviour, like the items fading in / out at the edges, you can do it with a widget retainer which allows you to pull the widget through a render target and add an effect on top.

If you wanted to make it in fully 3D from scratch, you could, ofc, because why the heck not…

• make a cozy room with nice lighting
  • do the full 3d carousel menu (rotate a bunch of vectors around) or simply attach to pivot and rotate pivot
  • scene capture → render target → texture → widget

My apologies, I should’ve grabbed a better example. This part is a scrollbox, yes. When you push right on the Cstick in the original, it rotates the background menu, revealing a second menu. It has 3 menus, inventory, spells, and partner menus.

Got a good example here. I don’t know how to screencapture gifs, so sorry that I can’t directly show you like you did to me.

1 Like

Yeah, I was definitely look at the wrong thing :sweat_smile:

Its fine! I really appreciate the response at all. So, I’ll give some context. I’m working on a spiritual successor to the game based on the game’s original beta which had all of is IP stuff completely stripped and abandoned. Of course, this is a small fangame, though.

I want to implement a similar styled menu (I’m adding a 4th menu for user convenience and sorting purposes.) where the menu has a rotation animation in the viewport-space which reveals a new menu. The infinite scrollbox was something I struggled with when the project was in Unity before I decided to swap engines simply due to my teammates swapping engines in their personal projects. Most of the code was super easy to port over, but this I’m struggling with.

So the solution is to edit a screencapture blueprint and then rendertarget that onto the Viewport space hud widget?

Pretty much yeah:

Seems to work ok! Some tweaking will be needed. Do tell if you’d like the project link, I’ll clean it up.

No thank you! That makes sense. I thought it’d be harder. Very much appreciated! Now to figure out that infinite scroll…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.