Assets Disappearing in UE5 Preview

UPDATE 2: So if I open a project directly in the launcher, files are missing. If I launch UE5 Preview, and then open the same project from there (Recent Projects), files are now there. At the moment that seems to be a solution.

UPDATE 1: Made a new test project and the same thing happened. ThirdPerson map and blueprints disappear.

This is proving to be a repeating issue with UE5 Preview.
As seen in the screenshots, assets are disappearing. I started this project new last night because it happened with one I was already working with from UE5-EA. Assets such as maps and materials keep disappearing. They’re still in Windows Explorer. I’m not doing anything fancy or using any plugins. Just basic blueprints. Never had this problem in UE5-EA or UE4.
I assume if I make a new project, it’s going to happen again.

UE5 Preview is a huge improvement otherwise. So I’d love to resolve this.

Screenshot 2022-02-26 210337

UPDATE 1: After creating a copy in EA, the levels are back, apparently with the assets. But some Blueprints, such as the Character Blueprint and the Animation Blueprint for that Character, are still gone. I’ve uninstalled Preview 1, and I’m currently in the process of migrating over assets that won’t show up (I’m deleting them in my file explorer and reintroducing them to the project). As for the Blueprints, I’ll be spending the day recreating them. Luckily I’m doing this for a tutorial series so I do have videos to refer back to in order to get the project back in the correct state.

This happened to me as well. It’s frustrating because I was developing a project in UE5 EA and when I installed Preview 1, as soon as I opened my EA project it was automatically converted to Preview 1 and now my assets are missing in the Content Browser, including some Blueprints.
I was able to open a project by launching EA and it opened and my assets were there. But the second time I tried this, I was prompted to make a copy of the project as it’s apparently now converted to Preview 1.

Even assets I’ve version-controlled are there in Explorer, but missing in the editor. This happened seemingly overnight, as they were all there and everything was working last night. This morning I open my project, and it can’t open some of my levels (strangely, some are there and can open). I got the same exact message as you.

I’m currently creating a copy of my Preview 1 project in UE5 EA. I’ll see if the assets are there. If they are, I may uninstall Preview 1 so it doesn’t automatically convert my projects again when I open them. I’ll post an update here.

Yes I’m reverting to EA myself.

The improvements are really great!! but overall it’s less ready than EA. I run into other issues. And like you mention, if I keep it installed, that lack of prompt makes it too easy to screw things up. So I uninstalled it.

The assets should show up if you launch UE5 Preview itself, and then open the project from Recent Projects.

Now, having uninstalled…
Preview converted projects will open directly in EA + assets missing. But if you open EA and try to open the project from there, it’ll prompt saying wrong version. Something to keep in mind. Remember which projects got converted if you run into this. If this is confusing. UE5 itself is also confused.

Yeah I was able to successfully open EA from the launcher and open a project directly, and it had most of the assets (Character and Animation BPs were gone) but after I closed it and opened it on its own, it was already converted, so opening from the launcher required me to make a copy in EA and the assets were lost.

I agree though that Preview is such an improvement… everything looks and feels so good! Unfortunately I’m going to have to wait for a more stable release to start developing with it.

To be fair, I was warned by a message when installing it, about bugs and what-not. I just didn’t expect to open an EA project and have it automatically converted.

Hey I have a similar issue except I can’t get it to show up no matter what I do, even if I copy my character blueprint (the one missing) from my explorer into an entirely different project, it wont show up …

Did you eventually figured it out ?

For me it only happened in UE5 Preview.
If the copied file won’t show up I wonder if it has no data (file size) or got corrupted.