Assets based on real products?

One of the most abundant types of fully legal, high-quality models are based directly on real-world products; AK-47, F-16, Ford Mustang, you name it, if it’s famous and real, there very likely already exists a high-quality model of it that you can use directly or at the very least you can easily find references to make your own high-quality models and you don’t have to spend weeks developing concepts before you can start modeling.

It is often very attractive to use real-world models from a production standpoint, but when will it require a license from the people who hold the right to the real product your asset is based on?

What makes a difference?

If you put in an F-16, but call it something entirely different?

Would you be allowed to call the F-16 a Viper? (This is a commonly used nickname specifically for the F-16, but the official name is Fighting Falcon)

Would you be allowed to call a Mustang a pony car? (This is a commonly used nickname for any affordable American sports cars, so a Mustang is indeed a pony car, but the term pony car is not specific to Mustangs)

If you put in an F-16 and call it an F-16? (Designation)

If you put in an F-16 and call it a Fighting Falcon? (Name)

If you put in an F-16 and call it a Falcon? (Incomplete name)

If it is an accurate simulation of an F-16?

If it looks like an F-16 but is a spaceship?

If it is positively depicted, e.g. performs super well and/or is described positively in the game’s fiction?

If it is negatively depicted, e.g. performs very poorly and/or is described negatively in the game’s fiction?

If the product is associated with the hero?

If the product is associated with the villain?

Does it matter if it’s a military product like the F-16 or a consumer product like a Ford Mustang? (Governments will not have their opinion of the F-16 affected by how it is represented in a game. Gamers, on the other hand, could have their opinion of the Ford Mustang affected by how it is represented in games.)

If I put in a Ford Mustang, am I okay if I do like they did in Bullit and remove the Ford logo?

Does it matter if it’s a 2018 Mustang or a 1969?

I found this article:

If you have other articles relevant to the subject, please post them.

I’m afraid these questions touch on legal issues on which Epic is not able to advise. We recommend contacting an attorney for specific advice on the use of third-party intellectual property.