Im mostly on the finish line to release my “Volumetric laser beams” asset, or maybe i should call in “Shadowed lasers”? Im still not sure
What its all about:
Aseets will bring ability to create volumetric-ish laser beams which are visible by light dissipation in air (dust, smoke and so on).
And those lasers will cast shadows!
Lasers will have 2 modes:
**Dynamic **and Stationary
- Cast shadows for every objects in the scene. Both static and dynamic
- Can be moved, animated in any way you want at runtime
- Most performance costly
- Cast shadows only for static geometry
- Cannot be moved at runtime
- Still can have simple “scanning” animation and yes - shadows will work as they should!
- Performance cost are really-really low!
Both Dynamic and Stationary modes work with masked geometry. So lasers will cast shadows from, as example, chainlink fences, foliage and so on
There’s a old one videos with a proof of concept (please notice that old version are doesnt represent final quality. Final product will look more eye catching!):
Did i told what stationary mode have really low performance cost? Here i have 8 stationary lasers in the scene + skylight and directional light in movable mode and they also cast shadows.
Approx. 7.5ms or >135FPS on my GTX1060 3Gb card.