Asset localization support

Hi, we are actually looking on how to implement asset localization with the editor. I try the localization dashboard for text and it work great. But I can’t say the same for the audio with DialogWave.

Does DialogueWave is ready to be used for localization with Unreal 4.12?

Any update about the development of your localization pipeline for audio, texture and mesh assets?

Thanks

Localized Dialogue Wave support should implemented and fully working for 4.12. It has also been slightly improved for 4.13, along with improved support for creating and managing localized assets from within the Content Browser.

What in particular are you having issues with?

Hi, I am also looking for some sort of tutorial on how to get the asset localization to work. I would like to swap out textures based on the selected language.

I created a DialogueWave with three different sound wave. Then I set the “Localization key format” field of each of the wave with a culture that I have created in the Localization dashboard. I added this DialogueWave in a sound cue. And when I start the game in stand alone mode with any of my three culture, the text in the game will be localized but the game will always play the first wave inside the DialogueWave.

Here is a tutorial for the text localization process with the “Localization dashboard”. But I can’t find nothing for other type of asset localization.

So you made a single Dialogue Wave, and added three contexts named after cultures? Yeah, that’s not how it works.

Asset localisation is the wholesale replacement of one asset with another, and the localised assets are stored in a L10N folder, with the rest of the path being the path to the original asset, eg) If you had /Game/MyFolder/MyAsset, and wanted to localise that for French, you’d make /Game/L10N/fr/MyFolder/MyAsset.

The dialogue tools that exist in the localisation dashboard automate this process for recorded audio, and will automatically create and maintain the correct Sound Waves and Dialogue Waves from your raw WAV files.

The process would be something like this:

1. Create Dialogue Wave assets for your spoken native dialogue.
  2. Use the loc dashboard to create a dialogue sheet for your native dialogue (to be sent off for recording), you’ll get back WAV files named like the sheet specified.
  3. Import the revised dialogue sheet using the loc dashboard, to apply any copy-edits to your native dialogue that were made during recording.
  4. Gather loc like normal. This will include your native dialogue for translation.
  5. Use the loc dashboard to create a dialogue sheet for your foreign dialogue, and send off to be recorded as per point 2.
  6. Point 3, but for the foreign dialogue sheets.
  7. Point the loc dashboard at all your recorded source audio and run the import localised dialogue command. This will create the required sound and dialogue waves, and can be run iteratively as more recorded dialogue becomes available.

This process is designed to help games with a fair amount of audio, however you can still manually create your sound and dialogue wave assets if you don’t need the complexity of the full dialogue pipeline.

Thank a lot Jamie. Now I understand how this process work.

What about the mesh and texture localization? Is there a support for that?

Sure, that can be handled via general asset localisation (as I explained above with the L10N folder).

The only assets you can’t localise are ones that produce types/bytecode (Blueprints, User Defined Structs, and User Defined Enums).

Hi, Jamie.

I tried to use L10N for images:

1. create L10N and hierarchy in it of images by default
  2. put in this folder images (via editor)
  3. try to switch cultures (de-DE culture by default, en-US new culture)
  • images appears only new from folder L10N, but in the debug get current culture - normally switching.

please help

update: solved, thank you L10N folder for localization, not work default language - Programming & Scripting - Unreal Engine Forums

Hello
Hope you are doing well.
I just want to confirm have you done with Dialogue wave Localization ? I need your help for setup these things on UE4.19.
Thanks…

The process for using localized dialogue waves hasn’t changed since 4.12. My previous comment on setting up that workflow is still valid.

But i am having issue to setting this up…
Suppose i have two wave file “hello” in English and German in Content/Sound Folder
Now what i need to do ? Do you have any video link ?

Thanks!

They use asset localization, so if your source dialogue wave was /Game/Sound/MySound, then a German localized version would be /Game/L10N/de/Sound/MySound, or an English localized version would be /Game/L10N/en/Sound/MySound.

Localized assets always go under /{Root}/L10N/{CultureCode}/Rest/Of/Path, and you may need to enable “Show Localized Content” under the “View Options” in the Content Browser to see them.

The localization dashboard has a pipeline that can take source dialogue waves and generate recording sheets for your localized versions (based on the cultures you’ve localized your text for), and can also be automate the process of importing recorded localized WAV files and creating suitably localized assets.

If you don’t use that, you can still create localized dialogue waves but you have to set them up manually.

The localization dashboard has a pipeline that can take source dialogue waves and generate recording sheets for your localized versions (based on the cultures you’ve localized your text for), and can also be automate the process of importing recorded localized WAV files and creating suitably localized assets. ???
I am unable to find this.
And by manual you mean go to the specific localization folder (/{Root}/L10N/{CultureCode}/Rest/Of/Path) and then set the wave ?

Unable to find what? The localization dashboard, or those settings? How much of your localization pipeline have you actually set-up? Do you have anything localized at all right now?

The localization dashboard can be found under “Window” → “Localization Dashboard”.

“Export Script” will export a dialogue sheet, “Import Script” will import a previously exported one back (in the case that copy-edits were made during recording), and “Import Dialogue” will import WAV files from the “Raw Audio Path” set in the settings. For these options to work, you need to have an asset gather that includes your dialogue waves, and you need to have translations for the spoken text of the dialogue wave contexts.

Yes, manual means you just create and set-up the appropriate localized assets by hand.

Hi Jamie (it’s worth trying to revive this thread),

If the pipeline starts with the “Export Script” that creates the dialogue sheet, where the dialogues come from?
I’ve got dialogues in excel sheet and recorded wav files correctly names and I’m standing in problem of “how to start”. I don’t know the dialogue sheet fileformat since there’s nothing to export yet. What will be the first step?
Write a script that will create DialogueWave assets for each line (to have something to export and “prime” the engine with dialogues)? :wink: Everything else is localized fine (text etc). it’s just I need to implement hundreds of spoken lines now :wink:

The dialogue in the script sheet comes from Dialogue Wave assets, so if you’ve already got your raw audio recorded then I’m sad to say it’s just a case of you importing it yourself (or writing a script/commandlet to do it based on whatever information you used to create your raw audio).

I slowly realized that but I could not believe - thanks a lot for clarifying that. I will do a script that will create the DW assets for me, that’s not a problem, I just did not want to do waste work :wink:

Btw: that’s very strange pipeline, becuase the dialogues are usually writeln first “somewhere” (in script-writing programs etc) so I would expect some “initial” form if injecting them to the game since Localization Dashboard exists.
But the script for creating them from scratch will be few lines, so it’s no big deal - thank you! <3