asset '/Game/Levels/1' (1.umap) failed to save

When ever I try to save any maps

Is your project folder read only?

This is aproblem I run into on win 10 using perforec source control. It also just happens sometimes and it saves anyway :-\

have you tried nameing it something else? I beleive some files have to start with a letter.

Let me know if this helps
Don’t forget to accept an answer that best clears your question up or answers it so when community finds your question in future via search/google they know exactly what you did to fix it/get it going.

Hi pikachu,

I wasn’t able to reproduce this in 4.9.0, so I have a few questions for you to help narrow down problem:

1. Does this happen in a new project as well, or only your current project?
  2. Does this happen with multiple maps, or only 1.umap?
  3. If you rename map to a longer name that does not begin with a digit, does it resolve issue?
  4. Is there any further information given before or after that failed save message appears?
  5. How are you attempting to save level?

This problem fixed itself. Don’t know what went on.

I just fixed this problem in 4.10. Turned out UE4 was frozen, and I opened UE4 again, which couldn’t save and cause this error. Killing frozen UE4 made it work again.

In more recent versions of UE4, it just means you already have project loaded in another instance of UE4.

1 Like

Had same issue, reboot solved when 2 other solutions did not. You could also probably use task manager to close ue4 processes. I can verify version 4.20.2 has same bug. (deleting level build data and rebuilding, and restarting ue4 completely didn’t work) I also had only 1 ue4 running, however may have been some hung processes, I didn’t look.

In UE5.0 and up, the recovery hub window can cause ... .umap) failed to save. Clicking “discard” on the recovery hub window allowed me to save my level.

Hey, most of the time, this kind of problem happens due to more than one instance of the UE editor being open at the same time. Check in your task manager for those extra instances and close them all. After that it should be good to go and saving as normal.