Assertion Failed - Vertex Factory Crashing Engine

Hi,

I’m fairly new to Unreal. I’m working on a project with MetaHuman and a character model. I’m sporadically getting this crash but it mainly happens when I open the BP for the character or when I open the render target object I created to display the model in a UI widget.

Assertion failed: !VertexFactory->NeedsDeclaration() || VertexDeclaration [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Public\MeshPassProcessor.inl] [Line: 90]

The others I’m working with don’t seem to be getting the same crash, and my crashes are not 100% happening in the same place, resetting my PC seems to fix for a short while too. also, when I load the same project with my Mac I can use things fine but this has MetaHuman disabled. I tried to disable MetaHuman on Windows and I still get the crash!

Any idea how I can fix this?
Thanks!

Hey there @Tom1834! Welcome to the community! Renderer errors like this that are inconsistent between your team members could possibly be caused by GPU configuration/settings or overtaxing the GPU for just a bit.

May I know your specs? Are there any other members of your team experiencing these crashes at all?

Are you running anything that works on GPU memory like Afterburner?

If you are running Nvidia, access the control panel and default the settings. Same with AMD and adrenalin.

Hi thanks for the reply! I checked in with the others to see if they can reproduce the crash and they were able too 100% of the time now. I think before it may have been they hadn’t updated to the latest It seems like it is to do with the MetaHuman base model we’re using. Now we’ve added in our own mesh and have removed the basic one it seems to be working.

If it happens again I’ll update the thread but so far so good!

Understandable! Since it seems to stem from the MH, it could be due to the complexity or if it’s older and was updated to the newer framework it could cause other issues. Keep me appraised if it continues!

Hi, is there any update on this one?

I keep on getting this while Im looking at blueprints.
Im currently using RTX 3060 and RTX4060, and it occures on both PC.

I have updated the project from 5.2 to 5.3 so could that be relevant in some way?

Thanks

Hey there @ookumaneko! For this issue specifically I have not heard anything new, though when a core component like a Vertex Factory (basically a component that handles vert locations of a mesh when rendering or in space) is having issues, it could stem from issues with the mesh itself often. Is this occurring during the opening of any blueprint or just a specific BP?

Hey, sorry for late responce.
On some BP It happened all the time and other it occasionally happens. I havent managed to figure out any steps on reproducing the random one yet