Assertion failed: NumPlanes <= 12 [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\DistanceFieldShadowing.cpp] [Line: 583]

Hello! After updating to version 5.3.2, a crash occurs when switching graphics settings to epic mode in play in editor. Only in windows.

Assertion failed: NumPlanes <= 12 [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\DistanceFieldShadowing.cpp] [Line: 583]

UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

[2023.11.19-07.23.25:436][105]LogWindows: Error: appError called: Assertion failed: NumPlanes <= 12 [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\DistanceFieldShadowing.cpp] [Line: 583]

Any updates? I am getting the same error. It seems that it happens with a particular map, there seems to be a null actor somewhere from reading the Crash report

Update I found the answer in a thread from 2015… YES! this has been happening since then!
The issue is with the Directional Light source, look for “Distance Field Shadows”, if it is enabled (i.e. box ticked), untick the box and give it a go. It worked in my case.
I had 4-5 maps all working but one (which was the only one that had that enabled)

1 Like
  • No, it doesn’t help. When switching to high graphics settings, Unreal crashes on windows with this error.

Hi! Did you try to change RHI from DX12 to DX11? That should help