Assertion failed: MacAddress.Num() == 6

I’m running UE 5.0.0 (Preview 2) on Windows 10. The editor crashes when trying to open my World Partition level.
The issue happens after I close Unreal and try to reopen. It will continue to crash with the same error until I restart my computer. After restarting, it will work properly until I have to close and reopen again.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Here’s the traceback from the crash window:

LoginId: ***

EpicAccountId: ***

Assertion failed: MacAddress.Num() == 6 [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\LevelActor.cpp] [Line: 292]

UnrealEditor_Engine!FActorSpawnUtils::MakeUniqueActorName() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\LevelActor.cpp:340]

UnrealEditor_Engine!UWorld::SpawnActor() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\LevelActor.cpp:564]

UnrealEditor_Engine!UWorld::SpawnActor() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\LevelActor.cpp:438]

UnrealEditor_Engine!UChildActorComponent::CreateChildActor() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Components\ChildActorComponent.cpp:671]

UnrealEditor_Engine!UActorComponent::ExecuteRegisterEvents() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Components\ActorComponent.cpp:1628]

UnrealEditor_Engine!UActorComponent::RegisterComponentWithWorld() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Components\ActorComponent.cpp:1283]

UnrealEditor_Engine!USimpleConstructionScript::RegisterInstancedComponent() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\SimpleConstructionScript.cpp:634]

UnrealEditor_Engine!USCS_Node::ExecuteNodeOnActor() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\SCS_Node.cpp:163]

UnrealEditor_Engine!USCS_Node::ExecuteNodeOnActor() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\SCS_Node.cpp:202]

UnrealEditor_Engine!USimpleConstructionScript::ExecuteScriptOnActor() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\SimpleConstructionScript.cpp:643]

UnrealEditor_Engine!AActor::ExecuteConstruction() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\ActorConstruction.cpp:780]

UnrealEditor_Engine!AActor::RerunConstructionScripts() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\ActorConstruction.cpp:535]

UnrealEditor_Engine!ULevel::IncrementalRunConstructionScripts() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Level.cpp:1518]

UnrealEditor_Engine!ULevel::IncrementalUpdateComponents() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Level.cpp:1396]

UnrealEditor_Engine!UWorld::UpdateWorldComponents() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\World.cpp:2268]

UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Map_Load() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorServer.cpp:2802]

UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::HandleMapCommand() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorServer.cpp:6232]

UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Exec() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorServer.cpp:5722]

UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Exec() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\UnrealEdSrv.cpp:659]

UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!FEditorFileUtils::LoadMap() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\FileHelpers.cpp:2761]

UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!FEditorFileUtils::LoadDefaultMapAtStartup() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\FileHelpers.cpp:4336]

UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!FUnrealEdMisc::OnInit() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\UnrealEdMisc.cpp:359]

UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!EditorInit() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\UnrealEdGlobals.cpp:134]

UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:159]

UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:147]

UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:283]

UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:330]

UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\a01\_work\6\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]

kernel32

ntdll

Thanks

You are not gonna BELIEVE the fix for this (hopefully this fixes for you too). To Epic - wtf lol…

So as it turns out, MacAddress is literally referring to your networks on your PC. 1. I had a ton of disconnected virtual network adapters piled up, so I disabled them all, and now I can place actors in my levels without it crashing.

4 Likes

Wow, talk about a ridiculous workaround! As a matter of fact I have a ton of virtual adapters as well so that’s probably it.
Seems this issue is still happening in the latest release. I filed a bug report so hopefully they patch this one up. In the meantime I guess disabling the adapters is the way to go. Thanks for the help!

It doesn’t working, do we have any solution else?

It’s unbelievable but your solution is working well. I disconnected a ton of virtual network adapters and I can now place a new object on the scene.

Thanks

Amazingly I think this is happening to me in 5.2.1 when trying to open the Electric Dreams Main Level. Hopefully I can find some network adapters to disable!

EDIT: Disabling Microsoft Virtual Network adapters that weren’t even being used indeed solved the Electric Dreams crash as well as a crash I was getting with some of my levels when placing actors with Pawn sensing.

where to find help for assertion failed mac address unreal engine error. how to solve the issue. the network remedy not work for me. i have only one lan connetion not anything else.