Assertion Failed frequently

Last night and today, with two different PCs, I get loads of these messages and I cannot determine
a cause; it happens when I add nodes in EventGraph but also happens when I save sometimes.
And I’m not sure what to do about reporting that kind of problem.

Hi Tom,

Can you do me a favor and go into your saved folder in your project folder. There is a log folder that should contain the text file of that callstack in that folder. Paste it in here and I’ll be able to look further into it. It looks like a UI issue, but I’ll have to get more details.

Thanks,

Alexander

link text
Certainly. I didn’t make any more progress since yesterday’s crashings.

Hi Tom,

I have created a report of the assertion and added it to our database. Thank you very much for your report and information. If there is anything else that you come across, let us know.

Thanks,

Alexander

Hi Tom,

I’ve checked a change into Beta3 that will prevent the crash, but we don’t understand exactly what is causing the underlying issue. Once you are on Beta3, if you see a “Stale Debug Data” message in the bubble above a timeline node, can you please open a support ticket with the details and what you did to make it appear or disappear?

Cheers,
Michael Noland

Sure.

I thought the crashes might have started when I set the preferences to be small UI buttons but even without setting the buttons to be small I still get regular crashes, sometimes a scene works fine and I save it and then next time I load it it crashes on loading with the same kind of Slate.dll assertions in the popup errors.

Request – why not just permanently set small UI buttons? I don’t see any point at all to having chunky UI buttons. Or maybe set small as the default and then visual impaired people can set them bigger if they so desire.

alt text
Today I was just adding a Gate in the EventGraph from the RMB list search field…
I had tested the Timeline animation of a box triggered to move in Z and that worked. Since then the same map, once reloaded, crashes on exposing the EventGraph – map attached.

[link text][2]

Hi Tom,

Slate and small icons have nothing to do with the crash. Almost any crash that happens as part of the editor will contain a lot of Slate entries on the callstack, since it’s traversing the UI hierarchy to process input, render, tick, etc… In this case, the actual crash is a failed assert in code called from the graph editor module to do the tooltips for timeline nodes.

I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue with timeline nodes in level script @head, so it’s possible the issue has already been fixed elsewhere, but there was a case where it could crash due to an assumption violation (normally the object being debugged and the debug data should never get out of sync, as any dirtying of the blueprint invalidates the debug data), and making this assumption fail gracefully is the fix that went into Beta3 along with some logging code to figure out why.

RE: Small icons: On a large monitor, the larger icons work fairly well and are more approachable since they have the labels underneath as well. We’ve discussed automatically defaulting to using small icons on lower resolution displays and will probably enable that in the future.

Cheers,
Michael Noland