Ask Epic: Art Production January 25 2024 @ 10 AM ET

Bonjour
Pensez vous ajouter une personnalisation totale du systeme de victoire et defaite c’est a dire de pouvoir avec une animation de victoire 100 % custom et importer des son qui peuvent etre utiliser lors de la victoire ou defaire d’un joueur ?

J’aimerais aussi savoir si il serait possible un joueur d’avoir les instance de niveau dans l’uefn ?

Et serait t’il possible d’avoir un appareil qui permet de remmettre par defaut les edit des construction ?

Merci de votre réponse,

Tordygo.

Hi there, best to ask this in the forums as this won’t be covered in our Art Production AMA.

Salut @Hunter.tordygo, pour tes questions qui ne concernent pas la production artistique, la meilleure chose à faire serait de les poser dans le forum, ces points ne seront pas abordés dans cette AMA.

Passe une bonne journée :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello everyone! The team will start answering questions in a few minutes. Thank you!

Hey Epic!
I was wondering if there is an official color palette available for artists who try to match the fortnite art style? If so, how do I access that?
Thanks!

Hi there, this is something I can look at for a future AMA. Thank you!

Hey again!
I just have one more question in regards to lighting. What is your approach to produce dramatic ambient lighting in interior spaces? Using too many customizable lights, spotlights, and point lights seems to cause a bug for me where lights are blown out from a distance and then the exposure adjusts as the player gets closer.

While this is off-topic for today’s AMA, these would be great topics for the future.

The audio team has been working on tools to improve the workflow, but if you have a specific request, could you please post it in the feedback forum to get some eyes on it?

1 Like

While we don’t have public templates or workflow guides for the FN art style, there are a few things I can recommend:

( 1 ) Have a look at this GDC talk about the original development of the FN Art Direction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=498KToofNf8&ab_channel=GDC

( 2 ) Have a close look at some of the official Fortnite prop work done by some of our artists and published on artstation, such as this example: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PdZBr .

I hope these two resources will help you achieve your goals of making assets that fit well within the FN world.

1 Like

Make it eye catching for the discovery page, whilst there are no official guidelines think of this as a graphic montage and layer elements together inside photoshop or any graphic based application.

One little trick I can recommend, is If you open a UEFN project and go into the ‘Fortnite’ folder you will see plenty of props and weapons that you can screenshot and find clever ways to combine into a single photoshopped thumbnail image.

I had a little chat with my friend Wiktor, one of our Lead Artists at Epic, and he shared an answer that I thought was perfect, so here it is.

First you need to decide what kind of space it is. Is it a commercial space, a residential space? A liminal space? Once you’ve decided that you can start telling a story. Is it abandoned? New? There are many foundational questions that need to be answered before you can start set dressing. Once you know what the space is you can start telling a story about who is occupying the space. Does someone live there? If so, what are they like? Messy, organized, pedantic? Setdressing is storytelling and you need to know what story you’re telling.

On a more practical level it’s all about composition and balance. Get the large shapes in first, like boxes, furniture, paintings on the walls and then work your way down to the smallest things like pens and other clutter.

There are many pitfalls and tropes one should avoid. Things like ominous graffiti in apocalyptic environments, blood everywhere in horror scenes and notes telling the story scattered everywhere. Try and be a bit more nuanced and thoughtful with the storytelling and you’ll reward the viewer who will piece the clues together themselves.

1 Like

If you want to completely move away from the ‘Fortnite look’, the first thing you will want to do in UEFN is go into ‘World Settings’ and under ‘Time of Day’, tick ‘Disable All Time of Day Managers’. This will allow you to completely turn off FN lighting and create your own custom lighting setup. You’ll want to create a skysphere and create your own custom sky background or download a HDRI sky image to use as the base texture.

Then on top of that, you will want to start layering elements to build up your vista. Further away from the player, these can be 2d elements, such as distant buildings, mountains, layers of fog, things like that. Closer to the player you will start layering in low-poly 3d models that get increasingly more detailed the closer they will be to the player character.

You really only need high resolution models and textures for things that will be very close to the player character, and reduce the complexity of your assets the further away you get into the vista.

1 Like

Whether you are working from existing concept art or just designing the level from a blank slate, usually the first step is to ‘gray box’ your environment level, to start blocking out the overall shapes and composition of your level. Every artist is a little bit different, but I personally like to also start lighting work on the level while it’s in this graybox stage with simple assets, to start establishing the mood of the scene.

You can go a long way towards building the overall ambiance of an environment with your lighting setup, even if the level is made up of just simple cubes. After you are happy with the level design, layout, and initial lighting, I would look at your concept art or reference and try to determine which type of assets you will create that can be modular and re-usable in many areas. For example if you are working on a natural environment with a rocky cliff, you will find that a single cliff asset can be rotated around and re-used in multiple areas without the repetition being too noticeable. I would create these modular elements first, and start using them to replace the gray-box pieces with your new custom assets. You could opt to use assets from the Quixel megascans library to speed up the workflow for a natural environment, or choose to make everything yourself, the choice is yours.

After creating and placing all these modular pieces, I would then go in and hand-craft a few more bespoke custom elements to break up the repetition and modularity, and just continue refining the models, set dressing and lighting until the scene reaches the desired level of fidelity.

1 Like

Additionally think about mixing pre-existing gallery assets you can get your hands on in UEFN and custom made assets. Custom content can be time consuming to make so block out your level and really consider what is going to be made bespoke. Finally consider key principles such as Depth, Scale and Colour. Depth can be achieved through volume fog, Scale through contrasting small and large details in your environment and Colour can be heavily influenced by the lighting techniques Saga mentioned… play around with the Sky Atmosphere settings and Post Processing to achieve some interesting looks!

1 Like

If you start building a level using the Fortnite assets in the UEFN library, you will see that they are all generally scaled to fit the proportions of the fortnite player character. In general, it is recommended to build your environment and assets at the same scale as FN assets, so that regardless of which skin players are using, they will be able to navigate your environment easily.

Optimization is a longer topic, but generally this refers to best practices with modelling and texturing that ensure assets are within the memory and performance budget requirements to run well on all platforms. This video can help you optimize your projects if you’d like to go into more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9fAXZ4U4XA

1 Like

You can check here for the seller guidelines:

In terms of making the assets optimized for Fortnite it would be a similar process to making ‘game ready assets’ that go into the engine.

There are some helpful tips about building assets here:

and also UEFN project optimizations here:

1 Like

Here is an Unreal Engine 5 tutorial that I think is excellent for interior lighting, and since UEFN also uses Lumen on current gen platforms and PC, it is also applicable here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GYyHDuaPcg&ab_channel=WilliamFaucher

You can control exposure in your scene using post-process volumes, both globally for the entire scene and also locally in smaller areas. I would suggest using as few lights as necessary to begin with, and slowly layering in more lights as needed. That way you have more control over your main contributing key and fill lights.

I personally find the most dramatic moods are created when you have a good amount of contrast in your scene between well-lit and shadowed areas. Try starting with just one light, and seeing how it bounces around with lumen global illumination, and then start adding in lights from there as you deem necessary.

1 Like

Could you post this question in the feedback forum and send me a link in a DM? I’ll be sure to pass it to the team.