As a beginner, I developed this game completely by myself,What should I learn next?

Guyz this is a simple game of controlling a Ball and help the Ball cross many obstacles to the finish line.

After some hard work I developed this game which has only 2 levels, Space to Jump, Left/Right to move.

What do you think? What should I learn next?

Video, Website anything would be appreciated.

Link of my game: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Z-AfwM1PJ9TXlYT25TeDI4SkE/view?usp=sharing

Video footage of my game [video]The Ball - My First UE4 Game - YouTube

Ooh bad,screenshots bud.Linking straight to download.

Hello? a little help here :frowning:

The above advice! Link to screenshots/info about your game. I suggest taking a look at do presskit.

I suggest posting some screenshots, describing what the game is, telling everyone why they should play it. Linking to a Google Drive with no real explanation isn’t going to make people download and play it.

Guyz this is a simple game of controlling a Ball and help the Ball cross many obstacles to the finish line.

Here is the gameplay footage of my game.

[video]The Ball - My First UE4 Game - YouTube

First, congrats on putting together a basic game. That’s a huge step forward and where pretty much 80% of the people who say “I’m going to make a game” fail.

Your next steps are pretty simple really: You can either start a new project to learn more things about game making or begin to polish this one into a “real” game.

If you select polishing, I would start by polishing up the movement speed/physics. Make them game pacing stronger. Once you have that really down (believe me, based on the video it isnt there yet) you can use that to practice level design. Avoid feature creep. This is an important thing to practice. Begin to recognize that everytime you say “I should add this new thing” you are making a decision between making the existing game better and adding in needless complexity. Practice simply avoiding adding things that arent in your original design. Add sound. GOOD sound. Music too of course. Then polish out the graphics.

When ALL of that is done and you have about 30-60 minutes of gameplay that is smoothly polished (this should take months of work from this stage) you can use it to practice marketing, distribution as freeware. I don’t see this as commercially viable without radical changes, but even trying to promote a free game can be difficult and you’ll learn a lot about how to do it.

Best of luck and congrats again! Don’t let all the tasks ahead of you bring you down, it looks like a lot, it IS a lot, but you’ve already started running the race so why not finish.

Thank you so much for your replay. Can be a little more elaborate about speed/physics and polishing this game?

In short the movement is too slow. If you’re a ball, you need to feel… rolly. See about making it take a few 10ths of a second to “get up to speed” from a standstill and a few 10th to “stop” and increase the max speed of the ball object. Play with those kinds of numbers until you feel … like a ball! :slight_smile: Maybe even make it bounce (maybe, but probably not). You’ll then find that the puzzles will be far more frustrating, need tweaking, and likely realize that there needs to be a few new mechanics to really make it work. Again, try to avoid feature creep, but sometimes you need a little extra, so walk that like delicately.

You’re pretty close to an MVP (Minimal viable product) - and once you get that speed/physics down you can sit someone objective (who doesn’t give a **** about your feelings) down and have them play it. If they’re having fun, keep going. If not, trash it and either return to the polishing phase or start a new project. Welcome to the world of prototyping :smiley: