Articulated Animated Door Tutorial [beginner]

Hello,

I recently had some trouble puzzling out how to create door for my project that involved animations created in an external program, and that were activated by proximity trigger in UE4. Being pretty new to working with blueprints, a number of concepts weren’t readily apparent to me, and despite the seeming simplicity of the task, I spent a lot of time trying to work out how to get it done. Many tutorials I found, while good, were meant for characters under the control of the player, or were for even simpler animation requirements.

Having finally figured out how to get my task done, I thought I’d make a tutorial video, hopefully to help someone else trying to do similar work in their projects. Specifically, this is a skeletal mesh with a single animation – a simple articulated opening animation. It’s imported to UE4, and the single animation is triggered by a box collider – played forward when the player enters, and played in reverse when the player exits. I hope some people find it helpful!

Two part series:

Part 1:

Part 2:

It’s my first instrucitonal video, so I hope it’s easy to follow. Please let me know if you spot anything I could have done better, or certainly if there’s a better way to go about doing this!

Thanks for looking :slight_smile:

Thanx!

Just what I was looking for … could not figure out why my animation did not want to play backwards directly… doing it this way with the state machiene etc works great!

Awesome, glad it was helpful to someone! :slight_smile:

As a fellow beginner, this is really really helpful. Thanks a lot for the effort, very appreciated. Not too easy finding good tutorials at this level.