ARkit on Windows?

I can build an IPA on Windows in 4.18 with ARKit Plugin enabled. Don’t have a device to test, so not sure if it would work on the phone.

hi, i can build too, but it crash on device

has someone succeeded on building the IPA on windows and successfully tested it on an IPAD pro ?

I too would still like to know. preview 2 is now out so hopefully it works. I’m holding off on buying an ipad until I know.

Epic said that windows support for ARKit will definitely come. But would indeed be good to know if it will already work in 4.18.

Any luck on preview 3 or 4?

Didn’t work out of the box on p3, will check on p4 and report back today.

Thank you. Arkit wasn’t mentioned in the bug fix notes but heres hoping

Nope, nothing has changed since p1. ARKit is still not useable.

I don’t think Apple would let ARKit be usable on a PC, it uses XCode and that’s Apple Developer stuff, even letting Unreal port it somehow to build from a PC directly to an iPad would be weird. Seems like it’s time to get a cheap Mac mini to build remotely or hope ARCore (Google) is available for all Android 7.0 devices soon.

Well it does work, remote bulding works on 4.18 all previews, what I’m saying is that integration and in-engine use is not working at the moment when it comes to ARKit. I’m able to compile fine both blueprint and c++ projects with ARKit both on 4.17 and 4.18 on virtual machine.

I understand what you’re saying, I understand it can be built remotely on an iOS system but not directly from a Windows one? (regardless of if it’s VM Ware)?

Well obviously it can’t and will not, unless Apple gets properly hit in the head or something.

@Shin_ji It´s not so obvious since you can build iOS apps from Windows without any problem in UE, the exception comes with ARKit, but if everything else can be built without a problem, why ARKit should be the exception?

UE Devs… is this going to be fixed in 4.18?

Cheers.

@Juangea It’s because ARKit uses XCode and that’s iOS only, everything else from Unreal must use code that’s universal to both OS systems. It’s a miracle really that Apple even allowed that.

And nothing else uses XCode? Of all that you can do on iOS with Unreal… ARKit is the only one thing that uses XCode?

Maybe you are right… but I find it pretty weird.
I don´t think it´s a miracle, some kind of agreement must exists, even more when Epic it´s an Apple strategic partner

Be it agreement or not (I doubt it), the fact is that plugin requires Xcode environment. If for instance, ARKit was an integral part of the engine I assume it wouldn’t need to be compiled on Mac.

Yes it’s because ARKit is an Apple development completely separate from Unreal, It’s 3rd party so it’s been up to Epic (I would believe) to help integrate it into Unreal Engine. It’s fine for ARCore as that’s been written by Google on Windows so anything they use can be installed on a PC.

it just comes down to the fact XCode is Apple code and can’t be put on a PC.

I don’t know what you guys are all talking about. I built an ARKit project from preview 4 on Windows 10 no problem, no remote-build required.

afaik, the engine comes pre-compiled with ARKit enabled by default. As long as you don’t need to enable/disable any plugins, you shouldn’t need to recompile the engine. If you do (which you should, as there are a ton of android plugins enabled by default aswell), Xcode will be required. This is when you’d need to either work directly on a Mac or use remote build.

I’d like to know more then @XsynthZ as I’ve seen a fair few people say ARKit is Mac only at the moment, but that was 4.17, Are you saying it’s now “universal” in 4.18? and no need to build from a Mac?