Are there any struggles coding a tycoon type game in Unreal?

I am planning on making a tycoon type game for VR using Unreal and I am wondering if there are any complications I should expect.

Everything.
Pick a better engine. Unreal is a constantly broken wheel that gets absolutely 0 grease.

All the devs (are told to) care about is new features that on the surface keep them comparable to other engines.
Yet, in reality those features are woeked on for about 5 minutes and left in Beta for years.
Or marked completed without actually being completed.

On top of that, you get issues like the rendering pipeline suddenly loosing 20fps between a version of the engine and another, and no one from staff giving a darn about it.

For VR - even if you set things in forward shading and do the absolute best job at optimization, you very likely will end up with a sub performing game.

Probably also a lot of puking while developing depending on what system you opeate on and the Per Eye resolution of your device.
It depends.
A 3090 has no problem keeping up with 2k per eye unless you make stuff look realistic or hit around 1.5m tris on screen.

I say use something else. There are so many choiches, theres bound to be a better one specific for VR…

I’d try reaching out to people who have actually done exactly that, or at least created VR title and preferably in similar genre.

There is big difference between theories and actual production - only people who’ve actually done it will be able to accurately guide you.

1 Like