Are there any BP nodes that can help identify and spawn actors on the brightest sections of a perlin noise image?

I want to have a 2d area with a generated perlin noise on it and darken most of the final perlin image. On the few perlin bits that are still showing I want to spawn an actor for each remaining cloud or blob. Is this possible with blueprints already and I just don’t know the proper vocabulary?

There is no such node. You’ll need a clever solution.

One ( not clever ) thing I can think of, is doing it with Niagara. If you spawn in a grid, the system can read how bright the texture is at each point and change the mesh material accordingly.

Thank you, I have been watching tutorials on niagara all night and morning and still haven’t put the pieces together of how exactly to achieve what I need but I think you are right and niagara has the functionality in there to do it. I haven’t found anyone show any examples of reading the brightness of each point so I am still a bit lost but will keep looking.

I will put something together, it’s an obscure area.

Bit later though… :wink:

There’s an importance sampling node:

But that does random sampling and is more sampling & distributing than accurately finding “each remaining cloud or blob.”

If speed isn’t an important factor, you can use Read Render Target Raw Pixel | Unreal Engine Documentation to read each pixel of the texture.
Edit: just read the importance sampling node is slow, too.

If you spawn the particles in a grid, you can read the texture alpha at the grid reference. I’ll come back later with an example.

1 Like

Reading pixel data is prohibitly expensive at runtime…
That’s usually why other solutions are generally applied…

Not too bad actually :slight_smile:

This ball of sand is made from 100k cube particles and runs at 120 fps:

( It’s getting the ball shape from a noise texture ).

3 Likes

I wonder if they used a different technique to read texture values in Niagara.
Usually file I/O is file I/O… the base cost is immutable.
More importantly, the base cost of accessing a pixel out of all the pixels in memory doesn’t really change.

But you are correct, Niagara runs pretty darn fast.

That ‘they’ was me. That’s my ball of yellow cubes :smiley:

It was just a texture sample module, but there are two ways you can do it:

1. Random particle placement. Then you have to pass details to the material to get the alpha

2. Fibonacci lattice ( which this ball was ), in which case you don’t actually need to go to the material, you can just read from the relevant point in a copy of the texture.

I take it back, it’s only (2) in fact…

This is what I mean. You can spawn cubes ( or another mesh ) at the high points of a texture:

Is that what you mean?

Now with smaller particles:

On the whitest part of some noise:

4 Likes

That becomes essentially the same as water.
The calculation of the wave happens twofold.
Once for a material, and once for whatever you place.
Performance on that is always A++.

How’s the reading of the texture?

There’s a Niagara module ‘sample texture’, which takes a texture directly and will sample it at UV coords. Problem is, it doesn’t give you a useful value, so you have to hack it to get the alpha. Pretty straightforward actually.

I also find it almost impossible to construct meaningful expressions in Niagara parameters. The default method is a bit clumsy. But it’s ok, you put set them using HLSL.

There’s another module ‘sphere location’, which has a uniform option. You can also hack that and reverse engineer the UVs from the polar coords.

So it all stays in the emitter.

I know zero about HLSL so I will need to figure out how to use it then it sounds like? Do I need HLSL with this Sample Texture to achieve the first example you showed?

The first example of the large squares going to the brightest spots is what I need. Once I get to that stage I can probably figure out how to get a random variation of where exactly within each square it would put the point down so it will look less on a grid.

Edit: to clarify, if you could take a snip of where the grid reference is located I think it will make more sense to me

The crucial parts are:

If you click on the ‘eye’, you can get the modules to show you what parameters they write to:

And, as you can see, the grid location module ( which the system gives you to go with the spawn module ) writes to a UVW space:

What this is saying, is we get to know for each particle, where it is on the texture. Exactly what we want :slight_smile:

The we put the ‘sample texture’ module in, so we can read the texture. You’ll notice, I’ve made my own copy so I can get just one channel. That’s only because I couldn’t figure out how to connect the SampledColor from this module with later stuff. There probably is a way, but I don’t find the parameter setup in Niagara very intuitive.

I also had the same problem getting the UVW from grid locaton into just UV, so I used a bit of HLSL to do that:

All it’s saying is ‘use the UV values from the UVW here’. If you know how to do this in Niagara params, show me! :slight_smile:

So now I have the red channel ( how bright the texture is ) I can bin the particles that don’t fit my needs using the kill particles module:

The edit of grid location to get the red channel is also easy ( do it in a copy! :wink: )

Tell me how it goes. Don’t spend too long fiddling. If you get stuck, I can put this in a small project for you to download.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for going into such detail!

1 Like