Are not there Decal Blend Modes on UE 5 anymore?

Hello,

We were switch our project to UE5, everything went well until I notice that when I wanted to create a decal material there are missing a option to select “Decal Blend Modes” witch was in UE4.

Did they change how it works now in UE5? I did not found any proper documentation to it for UE5.

Thanks

6 Likes

Odd. They appear for me. 5-0EA2

I noticed this now when chaneging to Preview 1.
There is however new nodes that sample and apply the gbuffer? But seems to not be for decals as it can only be used with masked mats.

I have the same problem in 5.0 Preview. I had a lot of decals in Stain blend mode in my project, worked fine in EA2. Now in UE5 preview they’re all broken. I cannot find how to change decal blend mode now. I’m relying heavily on decals in my current workflow, so that’s a huge issue.

Also have this issue. Worked in Early Access 2, but once updated to Preview 2 all decals now look different as there is no “Stain” option anymore. Anyone got a workaround. Also heavily rely on decals for current project so this is a bit of a big problem right now :frowning:

2 Likes

I really hope that Stain blend mode will be carried over to UE5 as we are using it in very specific and important aspects on our projects.
Literally it was the only mode that allowed us to develop the look we were aiming for
That would really be a deal breaker if it is not present

If dbuffer is off in the project, then the blend mode should be modulate. Then it will be in stain mode.
Unfortunately, this way you can’t use dbuffer decals in the project.

Bug on the subject was marked closed by design.

Anyone have any clue what’s going to replace some of the missing blend modes, like stain/translucent/emissive? We really need to support both deferred and non-deferred decals in the VFX world, unless there’s some overhaul in getting deferred ones to support other translucent materials, or work with the world normal hack for fixing projection streaking…

Or maybe they just collapsed all the DBuffer modes into the base translucent blend mode, and rolled the other modes into their respective base modes (Additive, Modulate, etc.)?

1 Like

It seems you have to use the new DBufferA or ApplyDBuffer nodes in the receiving surface material.

2 Likes

Any update on this? Now UE5 has been released it seems like you can only turn on Dbuffer decal in the project settings instead of individually for every decal material.

I used to get access to the Gbuffer through some custom code but now it all breaks in UE5, wonder what the new render pipeline is for decals?

Hi!

OK, figured it out after some time of experimenting.

1. Make a regular Deferred Decal material with Translucent blend mode and Default Lit shading model. IMPORTANT! Disable Tangent Space Normal since DBuffer uses world space normals!
    You can also use AlphaComposite or Modulate (=Stain) blend modes
  2. Make a regular material, check Use Material Attributes and setup custom response to decal via ApplyDBuffer. You can choose Decal Response (DBuffer) channels via dropdown in material settings.
  3. Make sure to disable Receives Decals on your mesh so it will use custom response instead of default one.

5 Likes

Unfortunately this no longer works with 5.0.2 :frowning:

Hi @rdtg!

Translucent blend mode should be on decal material while the surface you applying your decal to must be Opaque or Masked.

Basically, decal material creation is the same as in UE4, the main difference is manual response setup in actual surface material.

Ah, thank you, I was a bit tired and misread the post above. I’m not sure I like this change, as now it locks a surface to only a single response mode. So if I have a metal panel that has welding and dent decals, it can’t have blood splatter decals as well. :frowning:

Is this really how this works now? Also, it seems that such connection turns “Receives Decals” option obselete as the material will always receive them if setup like that, meaning that I have to create a separate material that looks exactly the same just doesn’t receive decals? How is this an improvement?

still does not work for me with decals from Megascans? the project is set as you said. but when having puddles on the floor, a pothole is dry and does not get the roughness from the floor. UE 5.0.3

It seems to be gone in 5.0.3.
Perhaps they merged the “Blend Mode” and “Decal Blend Mode” into the same option?

decal

I am following a tutorial from Unreal Sensei “Unreal Engine 5 Master Class”. I activated the puddles on a ground material and put a decal on top. The decal is supposed to get the wetness from the other material. Everything is from Megascans. The decal is dry, it does not work. The roughness information is not propagated from the ground material

Hi, I will answer for all those who were also looking for an answer like me. I managed to set “dbuffer translucent normal” in the material parameters. I did this by creating a material and setting the parameters I needed on UE4, after that I transferred this material to the UE5 project in the PC explorer and it worked! I do not know how and where these parameters were displayed in the settings of the material itself, because I did not find differences between the transferred material and what I created myself.

1 Like