Architectural Visualization to Oculus Quest 2

My goal is to be able to walk through a fully rendered model. From what I have learned so far, I have gone from SketchUp to Twinmotion then to ue4. I have not gotten into the details of properly importing Twinmotion into ue4 so I am just curious if I really need to go through Twinmotion first. Ultimately I would like to be able to view the rendered model without being tethered to the computer. I have read some about packaging and cant seem to find the answer. I don’t need to publish this anywhere I just need my clients to able to view the space without being connected to the computer.

I am fairly new to this so I’m sure I’m missing a lot of info, but any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Datasmith should be able to import your model directly into Unreal, Datasmith - Unreal Engine Although I have never used this workflow myself (never worked with sketchup).

As for wherever you will be able to view the model in standalone mode: Oculus Quest 2 hardware is very limited and to maintain comfortable frame rate you cannot really display a lot of details. In my tests OQ2 manages around 100k triangles before frame rate starts to drop rapidly. And that is with very simple materials and scene setup. So the answer is it depends on your model.

If you want to build an app for the Oculus Quest 2 there’s going to be some stuff you’re going to have to set up and learn: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unreal/unreal-gsg-quest-quickstart/

If your main concern is about having the cable running to the PC, you do have the option to connect wirelessly using Oculus Quest Air Link, you still run your project on the PC but it streams it over Wi-Fi to the headset rather than using the wired cable. If you want to be able to use the headset by itself without the PC entirely then you’ll have to go through that process to make an app for the Quest.

I have figured out the workflow enough to get a model into UE4 and downloaded android studio but when I go to package it keeps failing. I’ve been through so many forums but haven’t been able to figure it out. Here’s the error

UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): Build-tool 32.0.0 is missing DX at C:\Users\jpedersen\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\build-tools\32.0.0\dx.bat
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): File C:\Users\jpedersen.android\repositories.cfg could not be loaded.
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): Build-tool 32.0.0 is missing DX at C:\Users\jpedersen\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\build-tools\32.0.0\dx.bat
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): * What went wrong:
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): Could not determine the dependencies of task ‘:app:compileDebugJavaWithJavac’.
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): > Installed Build Tools revision 32.0.0 is corrupted. Remove and install again using the SDK Manager.
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): * Try:
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): * Get more help at https://help.gradle.org
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): BUILD FAILED in 11s
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): ERROR: cmd.exe failed with args /c “C:\Users\jpedersen\Documents\Unreal Projects\ArchVizInterior1\Intermediate\Android\armv7\gradle\rungradle.bat” :app:assembleDebug
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): (see C:\Users\jpedersen\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\C+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_4.27\Log.txt for full exception trace)
PackagingResults: Error: cmd.exe failed with args /c “C:\Users\jpedersen\Documents\Unreal Projects\ArchVizInterior1\Intermediate\Android\armv7\gradle\rungradle.bat” :app:assembleDebug
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1 (Error_Unknown)
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults: Error: Unknown Error

Getting the Android stuff set up can be a bit confusing, you’d need to go into Android Studio and use the SDK manager to download the right SDK, what that means is that they’ve released new versions of Android over the years and so you need the specific SDK for a version that you want to build for. Quest has a particular build of Android that it is running and you need that SDK version installed.

The fun thing is that build tools in Android SDK changed quite a bit, and build system always try to use the latest version. Unfortunately they are not compatible with Unreal Engine, and dx.bat file is does not exist in the newest version. That is why you get this error. What you should do is actually uninstall build tools for latest android sdk and install the old one. If my memory serves me right, something below Android X.