Architectural Feet and Inches Conversion to Unreal Engine Centimeters

To help take some guesswork out of determining which values to use, the values needed are centimeters, but if you’re used to dealing with Architectural Feet and Inches in a modeler like Sketchup, or need a combination of two values combined together, or work with Meters and Millimeters, it helps to convert numbers from what you’re more familiar with using to numbers you need to type in quickly so things are sized properly.

One easy way to get the numbers you need converted to Centimeters, is to have **Google **automatically convert the units for you, you can do this either in the browser address bar directly with Google Chrome, or in Google Search.

For Example: To Convert 1 Foot to Centimeters:
Goto http://www.google.com

In Google Search type 1’ = cm (Or you can type 1 foot = cm)

And it displays the result below:

If you have both **Feet **and **Inches **to convert, like for 1’ 3", you can type in 1 foot and 3 inches = cm, if that doesn’t work you can enter the numbers separately like before when did 1 foot = cm for 30.48, and then do another one for 3" = cm for 7.62, so adding them as 30.48 + 7.62 = 38.1

Feet to CM:
1’ = 30.48 (Floor Height)
2’ = 60.96
3’ = 91.44 (Door Width)
4’ = 121.92 (Floor Width)
5’ = 152.4
6’ = 182.88 (Low Door Height)
7’ = 213.36 (Standard Door Height)
8’ = 243.84 (Standard Wall Height/Double Door Width)
9’ = 274.32 (Wall Height)
10’ = 304.8 (Wall Height)
11’ = 335.28 (Wall Height)
12’ = 365.76 (Wall Height)
13’ = 396.24 (Wall Height)

Inches to CM:
1/16" = 0.15875
1/8" = 0.3175 (Common Cut width)
3/16" = 0.47625
1/4" = 0.635
5/16" = 0.79375
3/8" = 0.9525
7/16" = 1.11125
1/2"/0.5 = 1.27
9/16" = 1.42875
5/8" = 1.5875
11/16" = 1.74625
3/4" = 1.905
13/16" = 2.06375
7/8" = 2.2225
15/16" = 2.38125
1" = 2.54

Note: These are the standards I’m using for my own development workflows with everything from BSP Brushes, too mesh models, this includes work in Unreal Engine and other programs so it remains consistent. Enter some of these as your Grid Sizes. You can for instance set the Grid Size to 30.48 for 1 foot increments or 121.92 for 4 foot increments.

One example usage, say you want to go into Geometry Editing Mode and create a custom shape by using the Pen Tool, but you want to draw lines 1 foot at a time?

If you haven’t already added the Grid Size option for 1 foot:
Click Edit/Editor Preferences
Click Viewports
Under Grid Snapping/Decimal Grid Sizes click + Sign
Scroll to the newly created value field showing value of 0.0
Type in 30.48 (go ahead and click + Sign again and add 0.48 for a bug fix workaround.)

To test it out:
Click Change Position Snap Value to 30.48
Click Geometry Edit
Click Pen Tool
Switch to Top View
Left click on Grid.
Position white box over grid section where snaps into place and press **Spacebar **to set an marker/ancher point.
As you move it mouse around the spacing is set to 1 foot, after you have 3 or more points, press **Enter **key to close the shape.

There’s a problem with Pen Tool automatic extrusion and Extrude Tool in that they only accept integer values and not float values, and there’s a rounding and/or value display bug, I’ve already reported those, and will update this thread with instruction and pictures how to get around that until it’s changed. Will do that tomorrow later as I’m exhausted tonight and have to do more work.

UPDATE:
Create a box using Box Brush with values of 121.92 for X and Y, and 30.48 for Z (That’s a 4 foot x 4 foot section and 1 foot high.)
Drag **Box Brush **up a bit along Z axis then press Pause/End key to land the box on the floor/ground.
Click Editor Preferences
Click Viewports
Under Grid Snapping/Decimal Grid Sizes, click + sign and replace value 0.0 with a value of 0.48, if you haven’t added 30.48 already for 1 foot go ahead and do that too.
Close the Editor Preferences window.
Click Change Position Snap Value for grid to 30.48
Click Geometry Edit
Click Pen Tool
Switch to Top View
Left click on Grid.
Position white box over grid section where snaps into place and press **Spacebar **to set an marker/ancher point.
As you move mouse around Pen Tool white box will snap to points on the grid the spacing is set to 1 foot, lower the snap grid size and align Box Brush with the grid if you need too and left click back on the grid, after you have 3 or more points, press **Enter **key to close the shape.
Make sure both brushes are dropped to the floor, set the Position Grid Snap Value to 0.48, and go into Geometry Editing Mode, select the Pen Tool created brush objects top face and drag up along Z axis till it matches the height of the other mesh, and finished, the height of the Pen Tool created brush will now be 1 foot high, this same technique can be used for other heights but you’ll need to compensate for the brush height you wish to use.

Example Pictures From Bug Report Showing the Bug and Fix:

BEFORE: (Ignore the displayed grid value, I changed it temporarily to 1 while checking the grid out, should be 30.48.)

AFTER WORKAROUND/FIX APPLIED:

Hello,
I just found this old post of yours.
Thank you very much for makingg this!!

Im curious,
If I set the new grid scale for 1 grid = 1 foot does that mean that if I type in amounts in the x/y/z fields Im actually typing in feet or is that still CM?
Could get confusing.

Also, do you know if there is a tape measure tool like the one in sketchup?

thanks again

1 Like

The Unreal Engine has a measuring tool. Here you’ll find out how to access it:

I’m with you. These questions about the tape measure are exactly the questions I’ve been asking for months now and no one seems to get the question or see how useful it would be to have such a tool available. Not only the measuring tape and all the functions it allows to be accomplished with offsets and extension lines, but also the maneuvering that can be done solely with the mouse and not a combination of keys in conjunction with the mouse. Snapping to any desired location on an object with precision and speed is lost in UE5. I say UE5, because I have no idea what its previous versions included, but it is highly unlikely that they had a great tool in the toolbox and threw it out for no reason. Scaling and move and rotate are easily useful since you must scroll through the options each time you need one. Or, in my case, I’m always stayed on a mode and the object is selected and I end up rotating the object or scaling then object when I only want to move it or was selected on the object to accomplish another task. Ease of operation could have been made to mimic SketchUp.