Archinterior conversion (Evermotion) + VXGI tests

hi,can you tell me how i can use vxgi ???i search the the nvidia site but nothing for download,i also have a gtx 980

https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine/tree/VXGI

You have to download the source code and compile it with Visual Studio!

As ** **said, you must compile it. If you have no idea what we are talking about, I recommend you to read this thread: NVIDIA GameWorks Integration - Asset Creation - Epic Developer Community Forums
You’ll find there how to compile your VXGI version and also a lot of tips and tricks to deal with some bugs and issues. Have in mind that VXGI is still WIP and you’ll find some limitations.

. Are you willing to share a playabble demo of the scene using vxgi? I can test on my gtx 980! I’ll report performance!

I’d like to know if you unwrapped every single items or if you’ve left some of them on ‘‘movable’’ so they don’t need require a lightmap, thus saving time for small and/or complex objects. In the scene I’m working on, I’m considering having some kitchen appliances set to ‘‘movable’’ because I don’t feel like unwrapping a ton of detailed geometry.

VXGI multibounce is out. You should test it and post new results to see if there’s an improvement!

wowww…I love your materials, and much much much better than evermotion version!

Maybe I’ll generate a VXGI executable when I get the time to go back to that project. And yes, I’ve unwraped every single item in this scene, but I’ve merged some into the same mesh to make it easier. Like those books on the shelf, each shelf column has a cluster of books merged into the same mesh.

I didn’t know about that… I’m gonna take a look right now =D

I really think they have just rushed those scenes… They probably haven’t taken their time to work on nice and complex materials in order to match the VRay scenes. We need to wait and see how they’ve done though…

this is fantastic one of the best archviz in ue4,can i ask about your baselightmass.ini ?did you tweak them,i am working on an interior project and i want to have nice indirect shadows,so i put 0.4 for static lighting level scale and 0.4 for indirect lighting smoothness and 10 for indirect lighting quality and i also tweak the ini to an overkill value,but some shadows are dirty there is not enough indirect light to create indirect shadows on the objects that are far from light source(my window)how should i make things right?im trying to make something like unrealparis scene:(

I haven’t touch the baselightmass.ini. Interior white walls are the worst case scenario you can get for lightmass. It’s really hard to get a “dirt-free” lighting in this situation… But there are some tricks you can use to reduce those those problems. I’ll list the most important ones in my opinion, it may help you:

1. First of all you must make sure that you have nice unwrap mapping for all your assets and mainly the walls and white surfaces (and set high lightmap res for them).

2. After that, you must look for light leaking in the corners. Sometimes, if you have a mesh with a portion of its surface exposed to intense light and another portion under shadow, you’ll get light leaking and the solution is to break the mesh into peaces (one for the bright environment, other for the shadows).

3. Always try to avoid plain white materials. Use at least a normal map to give the walls some texture. Some sort of variation texture on the roughness channel also helps. Unrealparis scene may be 95% white, but if you look carefully you’ll notice a lot of normal textures and stuff on the wall corners. Those helps a lot to hide any lightmass artifacts. And you’ll find some dark spots on that project anyway if you go to dark places (like around the main door behind the player at the very first position).

4. And finally, you should always avoid regions in your interiors where direct light can’t reach. Make sure to put at least one source of light in every room. Use skyportals for the windows (reflectors with spotlights like the ones in koola’s scene at marketplace) and artificial lights for the rooms without windows or regions of large rooms where natural light won’t reach.

Here is my lightmass setup for that scene:

Capturar.JPG&stc=1

Have in mind that I’m far from being an expert on this… You can find a lot of dark spots in those images I’ve posted… I’m always trying to improve interior lighting somehow though. :smiley:

Nice thanks for sharing.

Here we go, VXGI updated with the last github version (with multi bounces):

&stc=1

&stc=1

&stc=1

&stc=1

voxels:

&stc=1

vxgi disabled:

&stc=1

ps: glass and metal reflections are faked with cube environment textures multiplying the stuff on diffuse channel.

Nice but with that framerate I guess we can forget making a video and VR is out of the question hehe!

I like the voxel visualizer, looks like a minecraft level hehe!

Multibounce did make some of the dark areas better, but that bookshelf corner is REALLY dark.

hi thanks for sharing and tips,about unwraping a wall or a flat surface its not hard,i think the uv of chanell 2 must have some distance from the border of uv area depends on the resolution of lightmap.
it s hard for me to set some artifact lights and their attenuation,is it necessary to fill the room or small attenuation can help for dirts?i find out that should left the indirect lighting intensity at 1 because higher than 1 can cause dirt,
your scene is really good the lights and materials are great but only thing is your indirect shadows if notice some of the object are float, and there is not enough indirect shadow,(maybe in your case indirect shadows are not too important depends on the mood of the scene),in unreal paris scene there are lots of sharp and accurate indirect shadows.
baselightmass.ini definitely helps to get clean render and accurate shadows

Yep… And I’m running it on a GTX780… There are some ways to optimize the VXGI config and get 20fps here, but I think the quality becomes to bad for nice archviz. Maybe when they release the final version of VXGI and with two Titan X in SLI it will be possible to achieve VR requirements, but I think this tech will become really viable for archviz only in the next generations of GPUs.

There are some parameters to adjust those small distance bounces, but I didn’t mess with them yet. Maybe it’s possible to achieve better results in that bookshelf situation…

Well, filling the room with light is actually a way to hide those dark artifacts, not removing it. I believe the only way to remove the dark spots without tweaking the lights to hide them is to mess with baselightmass.ini like you said (considering you already have nice meshes with proper mapping).

The main reason for that “floating” look in this scene is that there are too many lights in the room, coming from all directions (two big windows in opposed sides and lots of artificial lights between them). Then the soft shadows caused by a source of light will be killed for another and so on. Plus the floor is dark and that also hide the soft shadows… One thing that could help with that though is to increase the SSR on the floor, because it will produce better contact reflections…But then there will be more noise and it kills realism too, :frowning:

I didn’t try to mess with the baselightmass.ini for this project yet because the scene is already taking soooooo long to build lights without modifying that file… If I increase those parameters, it will take forever to build and I’m too lazy for that :p. But I’ll definitely give it a try and post the comparison here. :smiley:

hi ,you right about floating objects there are to many lights and the scene is bright,build time is going to became my nightmare,yesterday morning i clicked on the button of build(with some horrible value for baselightmass) and left the home for an outdoor climbing,i came back at midnight and guess what it was stuck on 1%:frowning:
but i will keep testing until i get those sharp indirect shadows,have you seen the london apartment from ue4arch?the shadows are unbelievable.i cant believe they reach those shadows with ue4.

Little update… Just got myself a 980 Ti and opened that VXGI scene again (I didn’t touch it anymore since my last update here, it has multibounce on).
Nice performance improvement!

gtx 780 ~9fps
gtx 980Ti ~30fps

&stc=1

&stc=1

&stc=1

&stc=1

Nice work! Do you also use real-time lighting with VXGI for your ArchViz projects? I thought that VXGI is a good replacement for light baking…

Thanks.

No, I’m not using it for my projects because it’s too hardware demanding… I can manage to get nice quality and nice fps on my GTX980 Ti, but I need those projects to run smoothly on cheaper hardware too. In my opinion, the actual GPU generation is still not enough to handle VXGI for archviz projects. Maybe next year…

Outstanding!

Keep up the good work!

On another note an asset library optimized for UE4 Archviz would be great! I hate uving or I’d make one. :smiley: