APRIL GAME JAM: Theme: DON'T PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET

I read through the official contest rules to be sure about the answer, but votes on itch.io are “meaningless”. They will judge the games by themselves. I think you don’t have to worry about that. :wink:

This month was fun. We still have a long way to go, I feel. I can’t wait to try’s games. ^^

But I’m pumped for next month!! We’re gonna try to win next time! :smiley:

Development went really well up until the final like 20 minutes before midnight. Ran into a bug I couldn’t figure out, but luckily I was able to fix it and I updated the link last night. Unfortunately that opened up more issues, but now the game is semi playable as intended. Hope you enjoy it when you pick it up and if you run into any of the bugs I apologize.

~rush

I have participated in two game jams and have learned so much from it. Can’t wait to do it again next month and see where it takes me. While I would like to win (as anyone would) I think I enjoy the process of making a game and learning from it much more than anything else. Plus each time I get a game type that I can extend upon in the future.

~rush

Hey

I know that the Game Jam is over, but I wanted to upload my game again here just to show how it was meant to be played. I spent all day today working out all the bugs I got last minute yesterday. Now it works really well. Well here is the link and hope you all enjoy it.

's Egg Masquerade

Credits:
Whitworth (me)
Hodges

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1g0y1poq3b1vyc/%27s%20Egg%20Masquerade.rar?dl=0

~rush

so,
what are the details on the voting? exactly
I see where one can vote on the 3 criteria now, who exactly can vote? is it just the game jam participants? anyone with an itch account?
can we vote or rate all the entries? and how much weight will our votes carry? will the winners be decided by us (just the entrants) or us & part of Epic or just Epic alone in the end?

I am a very curious to find out about our new process or the plan behind it, if someone would elaborate. thx

I still think rating by more professional judges will be better
Rating of normal players can generate a most popular prize or something

Great, will download that version instead. :slight_smile:

Played a few of the other submissions so far, having lots of fun. Well done to!

I should have posted about my game jam submission here as well:

Easter JAM!
*by “zen” *

Download: http://3dmasons.com/gamejam/EasterJAM.exe
ITCH.IO: http://3dmasons.itch.io/easter-jam

I had a lot of fun. This is my first game jam and the first time making anything in UE4. I still hadn’t moved from UE3 but I am glad I had taken this time to learn and a bonus was being able to immediately do something useful with what I learned. I made mistakes, learned how I could have done things better, but in the end I have to say that I absolutely LOVE the new engine.

It is best to use a scripting language to handle game-play elements of a game, because it’s easier to manage and doesn’t require recompiling the entire application for updates to ever-tweaking game features; tons of people know this and agree. Epic has taken this a step forward by turning scripting into visual programming and I absolutely love it. Bravo on how the entire system was designed, the flow often feels natural for programmers, and the speed to finish the logic is fast. A few things are repetitive but that could have been my inexperience.

Thank you for the engine and opportunity, Epic Games.

Thanks to that plays the game and I hope you enjoy.

Save The House

Team Name : Panileni Pulliah
Members:
1)Deepak
2)Pallav

Game Title : Save the House

Description : Naughty neighbour kids are throwing eggs at your house. Save your house by catching the eggs with a basket.

Controls : To switch characters press “1” “2”
Maximum of 7 eggs can be fitted in one basket
Empty the basket by pressing “E”
Game Ends when you miss 50 Eggs

Game Link : https://itch.io/jam/official-unreal-engine-april-game-jam/rate/22930

Screenshots

Even though I took part in the jam because I had to post my game on the forum and not on Itch I cannot give any votes or receive any, Bad times…… :frowning:
Oh well my favourite games that i would have voted for are

EggManJam, Egg Defender and Ayretek’s Egg Scrambler

seems like is posting their games so i will too ^^

“In the grim dark future there is a tyrant who rules over all and takes all the eggs for himself. But there is one he fears he is Monty the Egg Hunter! He is on a mission to return the eggs to the children but he needs your help!”

Team Name : Monkey Business
Members:
(Programming/Voice acting)Sandstrike
(Art/Music)GodofMoxie

Game Title : Monty’s Egg Hunter
Controls : “Space” to Punch direction arrows to jump and move.

Win by surviving all 3 waves or lose if you are reduced to 0 health or don’t collect enough eggs.

http://s23.postimg.org/gf50x2kyz/monty.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/dz37j82wb/monty2.jpg

Real fun game, GodofMoxie and Sandstrike. Love the art and voice acting too.

Lots of great games in this jam :slight_smile: still working through them all, be sure to tune in on Thursday to check out the winners!

How was the new process? Any feedback, everyone?

Wish I could give feedback but this was my first jam :slight_smile:

The timer was a bit confusing. Really though, we should just schedule around 's streaming schedule :wink:

I more like seeing all games here in one place, with all screenshots and descriptions. On itch, I had to click all over :wink: There is problem with 500 mb file size too.

I have only done three Jam’s but i also liked to see everyones posts on here and you get direct feedback! Also peer review is good but Epic Dev review is better!

I liked the idea but I think the first attempt created the scewed results I fear’d might show up.
but I believe it was mainly from Jammers not understanding the rules or concept behind Itch

I could even see where even my own votes affected the results. I don’t think most even understood that the jam entrants were supposed to vote on the winners. it didn’t look like most voted and the few that did created the skewed results. not to mention understanding how this affected the overall results because some couldn’t get their games up on Itch

I didn’t even know about the extended time until I had already started submitting, as well as over half didn’t have their entries done until way past the original posted deadline. if I had known we had an extra 9 hrs I might have even attempted to finish one of my original ideas. although it probably wouldn’t have helped in my case, lol. :wink:

overall I didn’t think it was a bad idea, although making anything publicly accessible on a public site makes me a little wary. you never know when someone might use one of the game entrant’s ideas to make a clone etc.

during the process, I thought that maybe having alternate ways to come up with the winners was a great idea. and thought something like separate ways to determine the winner might work like:

• 's Choice - chooses his favorite entry
  • Community Choice - Public Poll on forums - the Community chooses their favorite
  • Jammer’s Choice - Using a site like Itch to let the Jam Entrants choose their favorite

This is a fun idea, Ayretek :slight_smile: Let’s see if we can refine the process and get something like this put together!