Applying film grain only to very dark parts of the image

I’m not that experienced with unreal and I’m trying to replicate how real cameras work, where the grain tends to be more pronounced/colored in very dark parts of the image.
The standard “Film Grain Intensity Shadows” setting on the camera is far too lenient to what it considers “shadows”. I needed this to be only added to black/almost black parts of the image.

I figured I’d need to mask the black parts manually, add my own film grain effect, and then apply that post process material to the camera.

I didn’t get very far, and I could be completely wrong here, but everything I tried after this failed miserably. I’ve been stuck on this for ages, and nothing on the internet seems to solve this (or perhaps I just didn’t know what to look for).

I’d be very grateful for any kind of help with this.

An idea that might be worth exploring could be in a post process material calculate luminance and use it as a mask:
Luminance

Hope it helps.

This was very helpful! Thanks a lot. I managed to get the desired effect perfectly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.