App crashes on start

Setup/hardware specs

UE4.11

Packaging with ETC2

Deploying on a Samsung galaxy S4 (Android version 5.0.1) through USB cable

Very simple project with a cube on a plane (see screenshot)

Android platform settings (see screenshot)

Logcat (see http://pastebin.com/1pQshGES)

What I noticed in the log

One thing I noticed in the log is that I’m getting this nasty looking error: D/UE4 (13600): [2016.04.20-22.30.15:536] 0]LogInit:Display: Project file not found: …/…/…/MobileTest/MobileTest.uproject

What happens on the phone

The app gets installed fine on the phone, but when I tap to start the app screen goes black for 5 seconds and then just crashes/exits.

What I was thinking

At the moment of packaging in UE4, do we need to package in a certain location ? I’ve packaged outside the project location somewhere on my HDD, but it seems that the package needs to be able to find the uproject file ?

Any help would be really appreciated.

I can also see the “Project file not found:” message but it’s not crashing for me. And it’s almost definitively not the cause for you either.
Look after line 666 (coincidence?):

What have you set in the other android settings? Like Advanced APK Packaging “Configure the manifest for GearVR?” “Remove Oculus Signature files?”

Thanks so much for taking the time.
I have not touched the default settings for Advanced APKPackaging:

Update: You totally put me on the right track to debug this ! I unchecked the GearVR checkbox in the Advanced settings and the app now runs perfectly on my old Samsung S5

For future reference - can you tell me exactly why this would not run on my phone tho , with the GearVR checkbox checked ?
Will the app only run when inserted into the GearVR device and will it keep on crashing when running independently ?

I honestly don’t know, I haven’t experimented with VR (both in general and with UE4) at all. If you want to try and figure it out it’ll probably require some digging through the UnrealBuildTool and other sources to see where this setting is used and what it does.

Only turn on Gear VR if you are building a project that requires Gear VR. This also limits the APK to only working on certain Samsung devices supported by Gear VR.

thank u for this Informatoion nice work