Anyone Still Using UDK?

no, it’s not true

So it’s better that i use UE4 then??

they are about the same for a solo dev but UDK isn’t getting anymore updates so in the long run you’ll be better off with UE4.

for a solo dev UE4 is better quite simply because there’s the marketplace, an increasing amount of help (tutorials and community) and continuous engine development. it’s like having an invisible team indirectly helping with your game

also even if you’re equally good at both, UE4 is quite better in its productivity (BPs are faster for prototyping or even developing, and the faster code iteration time because of hot reload)

with UDK the advantages are a more stable engine (but find an issue and you’re screwed), and more stable tutorials (zero risk of finding tutorials that no longer work with the version you’re using). but that’s about it

Aside from others points raised, why learn a legacy engine and then have to learn again one day the next gen engine, seems like double the work?

… and as per OP question, yes Iam still using UDK. Why, cause when UE4 came out there were too many unknowns and the project had reached a point where it didn’t make sense to jump.

Yup still using UDK. Trying to learn UE4 on the side.

Personally, even now, UDK offers some things that UE4 doesn’t. Especially as far as compatibility. I know, legacy may not make sense to some to WANT to use, when you’re well experienced with both, or just with UE4, but my problem is Wii U support. Which is supported by Unreal Engine 3, or so I’ve heard.

but alas,udk and unreal engine 3 are different products.an unreal engine 3 licence would have cost you a pretty penny indeed.

Hi all, for anyone out there wondering if people are still using UDK, I am, and tbh I am so frustrated that they had to make the move from UDK to UE4 so **** difficult in fact I’d go as far to say it is impossible. Seriously it’s like they went out of their way to make UDK users have to start from scratch again in UE4 which is ridiculous to even consider! Aside from that, I am about halfway through my project in UDK atm and I am torn between moving over to the new engine or continuing with UDK as I am so well versed in UDK now starting from scratch just seems like far too much of a backwards step to take. Also I am a lone indie developer so there is only so much work I can do at a time by myself. I’m afraid starting from scratch is something I simply don’t have the time nor patience for so I think I’m going to stick it out with UDK because it is a fantastic engine that should not be forgotten despite UE4 coming out. For all the indie devs out there still on UDK (if there are any of you left, like me) I hope someone finds a way to just transfer everything over in one simple method very soon because I think it’s pretty clear that Epic sure aren’t going to do anything about it. I know someone suggested moving everything over in .upk files which would be lovely but unfortunately Epic had to go and screw that up with the new .uasset files.

But on a serious note, if there are any of you still out there on UDK like me, I would appreciate a reply for the simple fact that I would like to know if I am alone on this now as I can see the last post here was almost 6 months ago and nobody has replied since.

Btw I know Epic probably have their reasons for making the change difficult so I understand that I’m just simply complaining about it, so I don’t mean to attract any hate from anybody thinking I don’t know what I’m talking about. Nonetheless I’m just wanting to know if I’m all alone on UDK now or not.

You are not alone :wink:

there won’t be a simple method to transfer everything. there’s already ways to transfer maps but some things like code, kismet or anims are so different that they don’t really relate.
they went out of their way to make UE4 users have an easier learning curve and also allow more possibilities. incidentally, it went against some of the workings of UDK but that’s just a side effect.
moving over to UE4 is quite easy I would say (but you’ll always miss things from UDK).

moving a project though… better finish it in UDK and save yourself the frustration and wasted time.
with an ongoing project, one with a finish line somewhere on the horizon, and one with a rational and achievable goal, there’s no reason to move over to UE4 rather than finishing the game in UDK.
even graphics can be polished to a close level (just this week I finished a pseudo-PBR set of materials in my UDK project). as an indie loner you’ll never compete in graphics anyway.

so yeah, you’re not alone.

Technically udk is still useful.Im using it too and although not being updated,doesnt mean it cant do great stuff.It can come close to u4 in graphics,but the problem is that you have to work more in order to achive it.In the old forums there is a huge ammount of code,ai,shaders,particle fx etc. left.And you can use photogrammetry for more realism like Ehten Carter.I did a few tests with photogrammetry in udk and its awesome.
I saw 1-2 pbr shaders for udk on polycount(although im not too sure if they are the way to go).And if you want eyecandy projects to see how to achive more,people can download the:

BathHouse scene

arbor vitae scene
http://www.helderpinto.com/udk-level-arbor-vitae/

It’s not about the graphics anymore,its the game you make.Ive been looking at games on steam for the last month and comparing relative sales on steamspy and people just dont seem to care much about graphics anymore.Its the stylle and ambiance that have more of a impact.

indiedb shows that games with udk are still made

With on top of the page :stuck_out_tongue:
And most big u3 games this year are

Hawken(started with udk),Outlast 2,orcs must die and probably more.So its still a capable engine.

I don’t actively use UE4 but I keep myself updated on it and test some things every now and then. my grudge is how now they left aside this idea of UE4 being an engine for every use case and went back to the same old road of developing engine features that their flagship title needs (in this case Paragon), or just follow trends apparently having only marketing and exposure on their minds (the editor in VR for example)

at least now they listen to the community a bit more (compared to the UDK days) and for buggy/incomplete/needed features you can at least get them to put them on their backlog if you push enough (moreso if the issue gains community interest), and you might see it fixed 3-5 major releases later (or might need to keep pushing for months and years)
so what I do is I test things and I push for them to fix the broken/incomplete features that I’ll need, so that when I move to UE4 for a new project it actually works for my purposes.

@O_and_N
Elium is only on top of the indiedb page because I posted a new picture yesterday :smiley:
sadly it’s not very popular so I need to start putting effort into that

I also looked into the 2 PBR shaders on polycount but one was slightly incomplete and very gpu-intensivey and the other one was quite incomplete. just this week I finished my own pseudo-PBR implementation and transitioned everything into it (results here).

but in any case as a single hobbyist or small team it’s a more realistic goal to make “nice” graphics rather than “cutting edge” graphics. and for that UDK is enough (if you know your way around it and can manage to stay out of the “trademark UDK look”)

PolyPhyz company - Mod DB

:slight_smile:

The terminator? :stuck_out_tongue: Is it a 2.5d shooter?

yeah it’s like a platformer. i decided to use a blue post processing effect :slight_smile:
here’s some more screenshots even though they are older and i redesigned alot of stuff.

I currently have 2 projects using UDK, one of which will be ported to UE4 soon after my 2nd game is done.

My first game:
https://armymen3.net/

My current game:

Full compilation of alpha gameplay footage I showcased at SIEGE:

I haven’t given up on https://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?970055-Shoot-Em-Up-Prototype-quot-Grazer-quot, it looks much better now (last added feature was custom online multiplayer with the lockstep method) but it’s still about a year away from being finished as I haven’t been able to focus on it properly, I really hope there won’t be any trouble with releasing UDK games in 2017 and later.

Hey I have some news to share and thought it would be good to come in and let you know myself.

UDK will no longer be available for download after this week, as we are sunsetting support for it going into 2017.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you, but we do think that you’ll have great success with UE4 going forward.

The impact is not being able to download UDK versions anymore. You can continue to use what you already downloaded and ship your games / projects under the existing terms. The UE4 license terms only apply to UE4.

Good luck shipping your project and hopefully UE4 is a consideration for what comes next :slight_smile: