Anyone know of any good advanced tutorials that cover BP and Materials?

Hey guys,

I come from an artist background and despite going through some beginner tutorials, my head still spins whenever I try to understand what is going on in some of the example projects. So I am wondering if anyone knows of any good resources that can at least help to take my knowledge further. Such as figuring out how to create a static mesh array bp or some advanced materials.

Take care,

Hi ,

I haven’t watched them yet, as the post just appeared, but Hourences just released a long video series](forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?3743-The-Solus-Project-12-hours-of-UE4-in-depth-tutorials-example-content-from-Solus) which delves into BPs, materials, and more. His previous work includes incredibly detailed environmental and effects design videos for UDK, currently sold by Eat3D. If anyone can help you to understand UE4 materials better, he’s the guy.

Cheers,
-D

Very nice! This looks exactly like something I am looking for. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Daydreamer.

The currently released videos don’t go into material and staticmesh controls though. An Artist Blueprint video is on my list, and I might get to it in the near future.
I am thinking something along the lines of starting with how to make Blueprints that change material instances on a per mesh basis based on properties within the Blueprint, to then move on to how to set up things like a lamp (Blueprint controlling the material of the lamp, the mesh, the colors, light animations etc. in one single script). Also would like to cover how to make a script that places meshes for you. And how to do material setups that randomly apply color on a per mesh basis/world UV coordinates/make puddles appear on flat areas/etc. All that kind of stuff that speeds up production.

This is something that I would really, REALLY, like to see :stuck_out_tongue: so I will keep my eyes peeled, and the content you’ve released already is pretty great, thanks for that :slight_smile:

When I was learning blueprints, I found Tesla Dev very useful.

True I didn’t see any material tutorials on your site Hourences. But the Blueprint tutorials I found will be very helpful so thanks for doing that.

I will check out Tesla Dev Thingimibob. Thanks for the tip!

Anyone know of any good material learning tuts or sites?

I would recommend you to take a look at this site in the documentation when you need to know what all the nodes are for/how they are working: docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/ExpressionReference/index Otherwise you can always learn by taking a look at the materials in the examples from epic games. :wink:

I’ve got a few that might help you out! Let me know what you think!

Oh yeah, thanks for the link . This will be a huge help. I’ve tried studying the materials in the sample projects but because of my current knowledge, every time I open a material my head wants to explode haha.

PS. Nice job on your tutorials, I like the fact that it cuts right to the chase and doesn’t have a lot of filler talk.

Thanks for the link ! I’ve seen some of these before but not the whole series. So far its been pretty helpful.