Download

Anyone able to import FBX skeletons properly in max?

Hey all.

I was just wondering, if anyone has ever managed to get max to import a skeleton from FBX properly? What I mean is that for some reason when I import from FBX, the skeleton always seems to be imported kind of weird. Either the bones are the wrong size, or whatever.

Is there a setting when you import that you use you could share? I mean the bones are there, but they’re a bit… off :wink:

Ta.

Depends on how you construct the rig, might be an issue with scaling of the bones, usually you need to reset xform for meshes so maybe it’s an issue for bones as well.

Well, I’m exporting an animation frame from UE, then importing that fbx into max and I get very weird bone setups (like the bones are the wrong length for instance). If I do the same from Maya, it looks fine, bones and such are good. Basically max gets the transforms right, but the bones don’t seem to touch the next bone in the chain, which looks very weird. I’ve tried a few settings on the importer but never managed to get them sorted out.

Ah well, got done what I wanted to in an alternative way. So I guess it can wait.

Yes.

All is perfectly fine for me using FBX 2013.

What version of Max are you using? And FBX for that matter.

Are you using the standing Biped rig or a bespoke rig?

This is max 2014, no idea what version of fbx that is. Basically just export the blue guy from Unreal and load it in max and I get some weird setup. Is that just the fbx importer settings?

Oh! That’s what your trying to do.

I could not get that to work either. Personally hope they release the Blue Guy for Max, in a 3dsmax file, too (some people do use it). I decided in the end to make my own Biped (it don’t take long).

In the end I used one with a cat rig that seems to work ok for my needs. Can’t remember who released it, but it exports to the epic skeleton just fine so I’m using that for now. Ideally though I’d like to have a rig with proper bones and the usual controllers and ik/fk and such, but I need a finished character before thats worth doing.

The way the bones import (visually) is actually not that important as long as their transforms are correct, which normally it should be. I understand you want to see nice clean skeleton, but the best thing is to just leave them alone, as imported.

What I actually do for import, is to use dummies in stead on the import setting, in which case each bone is represented by basically a small box, which is much cleaner looking. Then you can build a rig on top of that.

Personally, for a custom rig, I’d keep the imported bones as is, then build a new skeleton on top as the control rig, and hook up the imported bones to follow. This way you keep your “game skeleton” clean and separate, and you know that it will export and work 100%. It’s pretty much always better to work with a control rig separately, regardless of using imported skeleton or not, just because when you create the rig, you may want to do things to the bones that could influence how things export, or even have a different hierarchy, so keeping them separated is the safe way to work and frees you up to do what ever you want with the rig and not worry about breaking the base skeleton in some way.