Any way to salvage a critical issue in a UE 5.3 packaged build?

Here’s the issue–I included an optional URL redirect link (“Click here to learn more about the gamemaker”) in the main menu of my game that I thought played nicely with Steam’s rules. Turns out, they’re not a fan of the destination. The issue? My project files are corrupted so all I have is the final, packaged build.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to disable that link now that it’s in the packaged build? Any sort of wrapper I can put on the build that disables external redirect attempts? Any tool in the Steam SDK that can help? Anything at all?

I’m a SUPER rookie but I’m willing to attempt some complex maneuvers if you know a way to stop a packaged game from redirecting outside of itself (in a way that I can show to Valve so they’ll be happy).

1 Like

Unfortunately, once your game is packaged, making changes to disable a link might be challenging. Here are simplified suggestions:

1. Check Steam Documentation: Review Steamworks SDK documentation for features that allow controlling or disabling external links.
  2. Contact Steam Support: Reach out to Steam Support and explain the situation. Ask if there’s a solution within the packaged build.
  3. Create a Patch: If possible, create a patch users can apply to disable the link. Communicate this clearly to your players.
  4. Overlay Control: Explore Steamworks features for controlling in-game overlays. Disable or modify the overlay to address the issue.
  5. Professional Help: Consider seeking assistance from a professional game developer or consultant if the problem persists.
  6. Update the Game: Release an updated version with the link disabled, though users may need to re-download the game.

Fatima! Thanks for the reply. Might you happen to know how to create a patch for a packaged game that blocks outgoing links? I’m Googling but not finding guides for this specific inquiry. I’ve already reached out to Steam support regarding SDK tools/assistance in the matter, and have explained my situation, but they haven’t responded positively.