Any way to keep continuous line traces consistent in low fps situations?

So I have a line trace in a loop so that it traces every tick and I’m using it for collision on a sword. The trace runs from the base of the blade to the tip, but in low fps situations, it shoots out less traces making the collision inaccurate. Is there any way to keep it consistent? If not, is there a better way to do collision on swords other than this or an on overlap box collision event?

Because overlap events don’t give hit location, normal, etc. Traces give more info about what they hit.

Oh i’m not doing it on event tick. I’ve got it on a loop that activates when my hit animation gets to a certain point and then deactivates at another point. I think it loops every .01 second.

I suppose so. I guess I’ll just play around with it and see what I can do. Thanks anyway, your reply is much appreciated.

Just to be curious, why don’t you use a collission Box or Sphere?

You don’t have to trace the sword on tick, you can use SetTimerByEvent and do it very .1 second ( for instance ). That will free up a lot of resources :slight_smile:

If you’ve got it running every 100th of a second, and it’s not happening, then you need to deal with whatever is bogging down your frame rate I’m afraid…

You can also Set the Tick time in the actor settings. Just Set ist should Tick onece a Seconds o. Something and you don’t need the Timer :wink:

I would suggest - gowith the overlap Event, If it fires, do your Traces. So you dont need Them so frequently, and still have the Hit struct you’re looking for

That’s a good suggestion, but the problem is I would have to just trace to the hit actors location, not the actual impact point since I cant get the hit location of the overlap.
Edit: Lol actually I just realized you mean fire the trace on the sword. That might actually work, I’ll have to try it.

This actually works well and is consistent even with low fps. But now i have a problem with the overlap not firing because the sword is already overlapping the object i’m trying to hit when I attack. Not sure if there’s really anything I can do about that though.