Any way to have two meshes materials touching to impact one another?

I’d like a frozen river to impact the riverbank with a frosted effect where the ice is touching the material on the river bank.

Any ideas?

You can do a depth-based blend on the river material and you can paint layers on the landscape. If the water level is consistent throughout the level, you could also blend automatically based on the landscape’s heightmap Z. But there is no way for the game to detect where the river meets the landscape automatically.

Thanks for the input @Nathaniel3W. The rivers and lakes are are variable z axis locations, so blending on heightmap won’t work unfortunately. I think vertex painting the landscape at the shoreline might be my best option. Then I can make it glisten and darken when wet, and freeze-up when cold.

You can see the issue I’m talking about in this video: Subsistence - Sneak peek - Alpha 50 - YouTube

When the banks of the lake touch the ice, there is no blending and it looks wrong.

Cheers

Your game looks amazing Coldscooter.

I’m looking at the amount of detail on the landscape. What’s the scale of the landscape? (I’m assuming it has to be quite a bit smaller than the default.) Did you make it all by hand? How many landscape layers do you have? Did you ever figure out a way to make the footstep sounds consistent with the landscape physics material, with cutouts for caves?

@Nathaniel3W Thanks man! The landscape I’m using is actually huge:

The playable area is fenced-in within the central area, and each time I expand the playable area, I push out the fence line. But the playable area is still pretty huge.

No I never managed to get footsteps to work after cutting a whole in the landscape. I believe it’s because it creates a mask layer for that component which takes priority when tracing for physical material. It’s pretty annoying, as there are lots of things I’d like to do with cutting holes in the landscape.

I got around that issue (when building my caves) by using teleporters and scene-capture planes. So the players see a scene capture showing what’s behind/in-front of the landscape layer, and I teleport them through when they attempt to move through it. It creates a bit of a visual jump when it occurs, but it’s acceptable for now.

Cool. Too bad about the caves, but I’m glad you found a good workaround.

What I meant by “smaller than the default” was the draw scale. I can tell that you have a huge landscape. I assumed that you made the landscape 4033 x 4033, but then reduced the draw scale in order to increase the detail level. I know that you can increase the detail of any layer by using higher-resolution textures, or even adding a detail texture that tiles on a smaller scale. But I assumed that you would have to decrease the draw scale in addition to that so that you can have a smooth landscape and finer control over landscape layers.

No i didn’t even consider scaling the landscape, it’s scale is 1.0. I’m just doing a lot of fine control with material blending.