Any of you ever work with FMOD or Wwise? Sound guy is asking me some questions.

I’m working with a composer who is now branching out into sound engineering. He wants to know if I’m using FMOD or Wwise. Those names look really familiar, so I was thinking that maybe UDK and/or Unreal 3 already implemented FMOD and Wwise in its audio system. But maybe I’ve only seen FMOD and Wwise in other games and I’m imagining a connection to UDK/UE3.

Have any of you ever worked with those plugins? What do they do? If UDK doesn’t already implement them, what would those plugins add that UDK can’t already do?

I highly doubt I’m going to add a major sound upgrade this late in development, but this is just something I’d like to know more about.

I’ve used FMOD plugin for UE4 + FMOD studio, it’s okay, fairly easy to use.

It does a fair bit of stuff and you should really take a look on their site for a full rundown of features, however it’s basically a DAW which allows you to create multitrack audio patches which you can trigger in UE4. One of the features I liked was the ability to fire events from the FMOD studio timeline and receive them in UE4.

It’s a great program for audio guys who are familiar with DAW’s (i.e. Cubase, Logic, etc…).

I personally do all of my audio directly in UE4 now as the audio engine has vastly improved since I last used FMOD studio.

Audio middleware allows the audio people to work without need of much, if any, programming. Middleware will save you programmer hours by letting the audio team implement and program the audio themselves. It also allows them to mix and tweak the sound in-game, handles any conversion to the files and allows the team to more easily add/change events in the future (i.e. new localizations or platforms). If your project is not big budget the software will most likely be completely free to use as well, so it may be a very worthwhile thing to have.

I think Wwise was integrated but im not sure if you need to purchase some scripts for it to work.On the other hand i suspect part of it might? be in udk.Did you try to import or drag a wwise file in the browser to see if it works?

Found this old video

[quote=“O_and_N, post:4, topic:106478”]

I think Wwise was integrated but im not sure if you need to purchase some scripts for it to work.On the other hand i suspect part of it might? be in udk.Did you try to import or drag a wwise file in the browser to see if it works?

Found this old videohttps://youtube.com/watch?v=LRAOokauNl4[/QUOTE]

It is not integrated, but you can download a plugin from Audiokinetic and build it into Unreal without having to build your engine version from source. They have an evaluation/free version that is free up to some number of sounds - I forget if it’s 200 or now 500 sounds.