Any Ideas?

I am not sure if this is the right forum but I was having difficulty finding one where this could be posted. So let me start off by saying I have a small team of about 5 people and two of those people are a good distance away. We are currently developing a blueprint based project in UE4 10. However we have run in to a slight issue as there is no good way to work on the project over a distance without uploading huge files to drop box and then downloading everything. Does anyone have a solution to this? I tried using GitHub and the unreal engine source but it was looking like only c++ based projects work with that.

Thanks any help is appreciated

• B

GitHub can be used for anything, not exclusively C++. However, it can only merge text files, so it’s still possible to have conflicts with blueprint files when multiple programmers are editing the same file at the same time. Github only has a 1GB limit though, which depending on your drawing style may be way to small (which I assume is the case since you complain about huge files).
If you will work from a distance, then you will need some way to send files to eachother.
If storage is the main problem, then someone needs to have a computer turned on all the time which either hosts a git/other cloud syncing server or which has a drive opened to the network (in which case, don’t forget to password-protect it, since there are many people scanning random ip’s for running connections like that). Also I think that a free Mega account can hold 50GB, which should be enough for a game made by 5 people if you only put 1 project on there at the same time, but since I never used it, I’m not 100% sure of this limit. Onedrive allows up to 1TB if you have an office 365 license, but their sharing system used to not even support syncing shared folders, so if they haven’t added that yet, it’s quite useless.
If internet speeds and/or data limits are the problem, then you either only sync what’s nessicary (let everyone have his own UE project where he/she works on his/her own parts, and send only the needed files to eachother, when optionally merging the projects at regular intervals), or make sure the files aren’t huge. Usually, the code of a game is pretty small, and assets like models, textures and movie files are which makes it so big. You can easily downscale textures and mess with the compression to reduce their file size by a lot, and you should b able to make models a lot less detailed using simple scripts. Then only whoever created the assets needs to keep the high-detail versions and everyone else can work with the smaller low-res versions, untill you finally merge everything at the end (or at regular intervals).

Personally, I use a self-hosted Git server, and I use a low-poly stylized drawing style so that the file size of my assets is quite low.

My team and I are using gitlab and are making sure no source files(like png) are on it. Only actual engine content will be committed.

We have been using tortoise SVN to solve this problem

Yep tortoise svn is the best solution for unreal. Howether there seems to be a small problem with using the editor to commit and check out files its best doing it from the actual folders themselves by right clicking .

git works fine. You can be uploading your 3D models and other assets to google drive or dropbox or something. Make sure you get it to gitignore your saved directory and other useless 1s that don’t need to be synced. Personally for all my own projects I just use bitbucket and throw my entire project files in there since they don’t care about filesize and also living in singapore i have gigabit internet so i can download at 100mb/s anyway

Bitbucket has a 2gb storage limit. And why would you go through all the trouble of keeping models and other assets seperate just to meet stulid storage quota when you can use svn have everything together along with several powerfull tools and even if you compmetely wreck youre project you can just roll back to the previous version

SVN and git both do exactly the same thing. And with both of those it’s good practice not to keep binary files in there as thats not what code versioning systems are designed for. I’m not sure why you are thinking that SVN has that capability that GIT doesn’t.

Yes and no . They accomplish the same task but the way they work are completely different. And my point was that git and all the others have very restrictive storage quotas , svn does not . In theory you can have a repsotiory up to 16tb although of course this is way overkill.

Ive tried all of them and svn is the best for me so I guess its just a matter of personal preference.

Git and SVN have no such thing as storage quotas, the hosted solutions you might use such as github or bitbucket will have storage quotas yes, but there is nothing stopping you from using any server of your own as a git repo or svn repo for that matter.

Both of them can do pretty much the same thing so it’s irrelevant really but neither of them is designed to be doing versioning on 3D files or images etc, they can be used for that but it’s not the idea since they are for code versioning. The benefit with git is that you can use it for purely local versioning much better and never commit, and you can also do branching far better than you can with svn.