Any guides for Overwatch-style first-person additive animation?

I’m making a first-person game and want to have the same kind of additive sway and roll used in Overwatch, as one animator broke down in this GDC talk.

I can’t find any explanations online of how to do something similar in Unreal. Does anyone know if there’s a conventional method for doing this, or any tutorials of how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Hey there @ThatNerdFury! Additive animation is actually already baked into the Unreal Engine animation pipeline in blend spaces and blend nodes! I’ve got a couple of tutorials and documentation here to get you started!

Disclaimer: Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

1 Like

Thanks for the resources, they’re really helpful! But do you know if there’s anything more technical, and/or from a first-person perspective? These are mainly dealing with blending between a base animation and an additive pose, but I’m not sure how it could translate to swaying and rolling a gun depending on the player’s movement and aim.

For example, a lot of these tutorials just force the weapon to lag behind or sway in the opposite direction of the look acceleration. But I want to learn how to use curves to customize the pattern, like having the weapon sway back and forth sinusoidally as it slows down after swaying or having the weapon actually lead the player’s turn.

Unfortunately I don’t have any that go too in depth about the specifics to pull those off, however blending between a final pose for the arms hard left or hard right, you could create a system to handle that via curves for clear sinusoidal movement, though much of it would have to be completely custom.