Any good resources or literature on broad topics and definitions?

I’ve been loving the tutorials so far, but can anybody recommend a good book or website to learn about the ins and outs of things like soft shadows, Ray trace, sub uvs, etc. Google has gotten me really far with specifics, but I figured there might be a good “Terminology 101” so to speak when it comes to the intricacies of a game engine.

There are tons of them, but to start with there is a series of books called the Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive 3D Technology which has most of the basic and advanced topics related to game engine design, 3D graphics etc etc. Apart from that Gamdev.net and Gamasutra are two key site too.

I love gamasutra, their topics are so specific. And thank you I’ll order that and give it a try!

A couple more good resources:

Polycount Forums - Articles on almost everything game related

A specific page on GameDev.net - Game Development Dictionary

And a 3D Game Glossary of terms

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

I could do with one of these. Cheers for the thread.

It’s just the simple things, like “What is a Player controller?” What are the terms UE uses for the Skeleton, Skin, hitbox, whatever that cylinder/volume is that surrounds each character, etc. I mean REEEEEALLY basic stuff that people with more experience take for granted. (I know the answer to some of these; I’m just using them as examples).

EDIT: I.e. I’d like the Unreal Engine API Reference in paper form.*

*Yeah, I’m an old fuddy-duddy, so sue me! :stuck_out_tongue: