Any assets migrated from a UE 5.4 project to 5.3.2 do not appear in the 5.3.2 version of the project.

Hi, today I tried to use the new features of the new version of the engine and faced the problem of migrating assets from the new version of the engine to the previous one. I took advantage of the new retargeting features and further wanted to migrate these animations to my project using Migrate. Then the loading was successful, but the animations did not appear in the content browser in the project with version 5.3.2, then I decided to try for the sake of the test to migrate other assets (random textures, materials, etc.) and found that they also do not appear in the content browser’e, but at the same time in the folder on the PC they are. Why the engine does not see the assets that are moved specifically from version 5.4?

1 Like

Unless this has change, you can’t add a .uasset created on a higher version engine to a lower version, you should have get some error msg in the output log, something like outdated version.
If you are just transfering some mesh, exporting as fbx might do the trick.

Thank you for the reply! Sad to hear that if it’s true. I just don’t understand why textures can’t be transferred from a newer version. It’s pretty weird, I’d understand if it was some Blueprints or something. Hopefully the guys at EG will fix this.

I believe the engine just check the metadata of a .uasset for it created version.

Sadly you will need to export texture manually as png from 5.4 to pc and then reimport them to 5.3

Huh, man, I didn’t even realize that your answer is the solution to my question!) I didn’t know that animations can be exported in FBX format. I did so and everything worked out, the animations are on the previous version of the engine and everything is fine. Thanks!

1 Like