Download

Another Blunder (Blender) export particle hair mesh Problem

I have a human skeletal mesh in Blender with the hair done with Blender’s hair particle system. I converted the particle hair system into a 3d hair mesh. But the Problem I’ve run into is this. Blender refuses to export the mesh hair in the FBX file
with the model. For when I open up the exported FBX file to check with the FBX viewer to see if the hair actually exported out, of blender, I find the hair mesh is not even present. So when I import the FBX into the Unreal Engine, Unreal will keep on importing it in without the hair because Blender is not exporting it out the hair mesh for some unknown reason.

Does anyone here have a fix?

I don’t know how else to get Blender to export out the hair mesh. This should’ve been fixed in the latest
version of Blender but I also hear that Unreal Engine don’t support importing in Blender Particle Hair 3d meshes yet.
I don’t know if this has been addressed in the latest version of unreal or not. I’m using version 4.12.5

How did you convert it? Are there any faces including some UV-map or is it just edges? There’s a (non-free) addon for Blender that could convert particle hairs to a mesh including UVs: HairMesher (Generate mesh from hair with UVs,C++) - Released Scripts and Themes - Blender Artists Community

The particle hair system Was converted with the Modifier. You click in the outliner on the particle system you want to convert. And hit Modifier and then Convert… So I can convert the hair into mesh, the problem is trying to export the converted hair mesh out along with the model. It works for the hair on top of the model’s head, it will convert that but for some unknown reason the converted hair mesh won’t export itself, but if you try to also convert his facial hair also that’s when blender just crashes. So I cannot convert the facial hair particle system, only just the main hair.

The model had two particle hair systems. One for the Hair and the other for the beard.

The problem is that you don’t have any faces if you convert it that way (and export right away from here). You get a mesh but only with lots of edges (no faces).

So far I know following to get hair from Blender:

*) Use particles, style some hair with the comb, convert to mesh at the modifier in object mode (which only gives edges so far, which is too less). Switch into edit mode. Then select all (“A”, “A”), afterwards hit “E”, “Z”, “1,”, “Enter”, “G”, “X”, “1”, “Enter”, “E”, “Z”, “-1”, “Enter”, “G”, “X”, “1”, “Enter”, “A”, “A”, “G”, “X”, “-1”, “Enter”. This would make the hair more solid and looking like this /. You could change those 1 and -1 values to the strength of the hair you like. However the hair would be even (usually it looks better if the faces are a bit thicker at the head, even more thicker at mid and thin at the end). UV-unwrap and export.

*) Use particles, style some hair with the comb, convert to mesh at the modifier in object mode (which only gives edges so far, which is too less). Hit ALT-C to convert your mesh to a curve go into the Object data tab (next to the wrench symbol) and tinker around with Taper and Bevel shapes. UV-unwrap and export.

*) Use particles, style some hair with the comb, convert to mesh at the modifier in object mode (which only gives edges so far, which is too less). Go into edit mode and use “C” to circleselect a wisp of hair. If you have just very few hairs you could even select a whisp with L instead. Duplicate your selection and convert (only) the duplicated wisp (still in edit mode) hitting “Space” and typing “Convex”. Seperate your convex shape for now using “P” (so you know which hairstrands are already done). Repeat until all of your original edges/vertices are converted to some convex strands of hairs. Merge them together if you are done (or not as you like), uv-unwrap and export. This works only to get some solid lowpoly style hairs (it’s some kind of quick retopo using the comb to create some shape and partially split it up into solid blocks). UV-unwrap and export.

*) Use particles, style some hair with the comb and convert to a mesh with faces using that (paid) plugin: HairMesher (Generate mesh from hair with UVs,C++) - Released Scripts and Themes - Blender Artists Community - It feels still like it’s under development and there are two plugins (one newer with dll, one older without dll that even could include bones for all your hairs but lacks other features). I would not say it’s perfect but it should give better results than to extrude you hairs manually and you could adjust how thick the faces should get at mid and you get the UV-map.

*) Try to get an export for hairworks. However there are few issues. The site of the exporter is down (or was down… not sure if there was some licensing issues as this could be tricky with GPL and closed source). You can’t use the normal UE4 version. You have to take care regarding licensing hairworks from Nvidia yourself. Anyway if you would search in that direction:

Oh my, that looks advanced… But yes, Blender only convert particles into vertices lines and not account also for the faces?
the other way is to use a modifier on the converted mesh to add some thickness.

The screwmodifier comes close if you use 2 steps … but usually there is some angle where your hair looks thinner than at others that way. If you just put faces everywhere (like cube) then you would get quick unnecessary too much faces for just one hair.