Download

Announcing Section 5 of Survival Game - Networking your game

Hi Tom, I noticed when the player is crouched the enemies do not damage you. I can fire my gun and attract every enemy on the map, if crouched, they just swarm around me and do not attack.

Hi! Yeah that is a slightly unfortunate bug…I’ll have to update the anim blueprint so they will look down and “punch” downwards when the player is crouched. I’m reserving section 6 for these type of fixes. Thanks for reporting it!

4.8 has a new blue guy, so we’d have to atleast wait for 4.8 to hit, I’ve asked Epic about fbx availability. I can’t make any promises at this time. It may support a melee attack, but I might as well end up using an alternative

if you want the blue guy in fbx just export it from the engine i already have it rigged in my computer

and i can also help if you want just send me a list of anims you want and i’ll get them for you if i had them

The docs for section 5 are up on the wiki! It’s all about replication using practical examples this time.

Do you think you can break down the reason behind all the math in ASWeaponInstant::?
As i understand it calculates the difference in location on client and server and if its not to large it its a confirmed hit?

Cheers!
WCode.

Hey Tom i see today the crouch lerp system :slight_smile: nice thanks!

*Have a problem when press faster the crouch all time.

There is some validation code I took from ShooterGame. It basically adds some leeway to handle some differences between client and server due to lag, and then checks if the hit the client claims was actually a hit by re-tracing on the server.

What happens when you press crouch all the time?

When you walk and press c all time work nice, but check when you are idle and press c all time the character animation and the camera doesn’t sync.

Haven’t noticed anything strange with that. I’ve added it to my Trello to have a look.

You can check that here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28070491/UE/Forums/2015-06-05-1757-59.mp4

The first part is expected the second when the player don’t move no.

Small question, how would you, as a UE4 programmer, and assuming it would have to be replicated and accurate, tackle the melee question? Using collision? Ray-tracing? Other methods?

I have started something for melee in the zombie code, this was grabbed from Zak’s implementation in one the punching tutorials on the wiki:

A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums18-_Animation_Blueprint_Punching_Setup_in_UE4

With melee using collision volumes sounds like the most accurate approach, using begin overlaps to let the animation pass through visually, but still register the “hits” to apply damage.

Right, that looks totally weird! Thanks for letting me know, hopefully I can fix this in time…

Sorry for all the questions, but do you happen to know how performance hungry collision is vs ray tracing?

Lastly, forcing the animation to stop and ‘go back’ would it also be achievable easily?

Last question, and thank you for your tutorials :slight_smile:

1. Hard to say without measuring and probably very scene dependent. It’s all about what you’re trying to achieve and if that requires a volume or ray rather than looking for the cheapest CPU size (because performance might not even be a problem unless it’s the bottleneck)

2. You’re probably looking for AnimMontage, I believe you can also use a playback rate of -1 to inverse the playback of an animation. With animmontages you can jump to specific sections in a set of animations or halfway into one animation etc.

Tom will be possible to see how manage the AI in network coop for large maps, because you can’t have all map with AI at the time and will be nice to see a example about spawn AI near the players (even if the players are in different sites of the map far one of the other) ?
*And the bullet penetration ?

I hope so, we’re currently figuring out what I’ll be working on next so I can’t make any promises.

Nice, thank you!
You are awesome, this is nice community to learn, help and share :smiley: !!

*Probably here in the TPS is good idea add a simple recoil system to move the camera and back to the original position ?