We’re announcing the first section of the new Survival Sample Game today! The documentation will be up by the end of next week, in the meanwhile you can already grab the latest source at GitHub (GitHub - tomlooman/EpicSurvivalGameSeries: Third-person Survival Game for Unreal Engine 4 (Sample Project)). Which will continously be worked on for the 12 week period! Use the tagged release for stable builds each section, once available.
To give you an idea of what’s coming I have setup a short premise for the game:
(Please note that features are subject to change, and feedback from you is taken into account when moving forward with the game’s direction)
As mentioned in the original announcement thread of this project, there will be 6 sections total, each focusing on different gameplay concepts to help you understand how C++ works with Unreal Engine 4!
Concepts that are covered this section:
- Setting up Input in C++.**
- Exposing functions and properties to Blueprint.**
- Replication (Networking) of Characters and Actors.
- 3rd-person camera handling through components.
- Using Timers.
Furthermore you can use the code to learn more about: (But not explicitly covered in the upcoming docs)
- Handling Sound & Particle FX in C++.
- Overriding existing functionality.
- Setup of components.
- Using C++ character movement and behavior in AnimBlueprint.
- Extending movement. (with Sprinting)
- Extending CameraManager. (with FOV zoom)
- Interacting with objects in the world.
Every two weeks a new section will be announced with a new thread alongside it!
Please use this thread for questions and feedback you might have!