Animation stops working when setting master pose component

I have a character mesh with an armature that I’ve created a blueprint for. I would like to attach a secondary skeletal mesh component to this character. I’ve done this many times before with clothing for example, but this time the component mesh I want to attach has exactly the same armature as the character, with some additional bones.

Currently when I press play the character plays the idle animation. The issue is that when I try to set the master pose component, animation stops working and my character defaults to the T-pose. Could this be because the skeletal mesh component I’m attaching has additional bones? The armature is identical otherwise.

In the event that set master pose component can only be used with two meshes with identical skeletons (no extra bones), how could I attach the component mesh? Would this be something FSkeletalMeshMerge could accomplish instead?

Same problem here, did you ever find a solution?

Yes, you can use a copy pose node to attach a skeleton with extra bones to your primary character mesh. Create a post process BP, make a copy pose node, tick off the “use attached parent” option. Now assign the post process BP to the skeletal mesh asset with extra bones. In your primary character BP, add a skeletal mesh component under the character mesh component and add the mesh with the post process BP.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.