Animating a static mesh

Hi there, is it possible to add animations to static meshes that are not character or skeletal. What I want is to make animation for a certain object in Blender and then export that object and animation to Unreal.

For ex., in SimCity games when you build a house or a building you get a short construction animation:

So how would I export such animation from Blender into UE? Pretty much I want the same thing, when I place something I want this animation to play first and then to get the completed building.

Hello

I think the best way to do this would be through blueprints by adding/removing static mesh components.

Example would be having a few different static meshes for the different phases of the buildings and have the blueprint code switch them out as the building progresses. You could even add scaffolding and cranes if it was a larger building.

I see, I thought there might be a way to import an animation instead of doing it with blueprints but I guess I’ll do it that way.

Thank you for your answer :slight_smile:

Tiny Animations!? | Fixing small animations from Blender to Unreal Engine (youtube.com)

For anyone else that is searching, the right way is to add a simple rig (a single bone will suffice) to the mesh, and that should allow you to import animations properly.

You could also try converting the animation to VAT => Vertex Animation Texture.
It will animate the static mesh with a very low hit to performance.

Blender can also export to VAT