Animated Groom going haywire - please help

Hi everyone!

I’ve been having some issues with simulating groom on animated rigs. Most of the hair strands seem fine but there are patches that seem to split off from the neutral pose as the character animates, sometimes stretching, some just fan out in odd directions. (It looks fine when attached to a static mesh. I’m also noticing that if you pause the animation, then the sticky-outy strands sometimes jitter…)

I’ve tried deleting all the collision objects from the physics asset, I’ve had a good play about with the Groom’s physics settings, but no luck with either. (Admittedly, I’m not super well versed on what a lot of these settings do, so maybe there’s something in here I’m missing?)

My setup -
The characters are rigged with M-gear in maya, and they only have very basic/ proxy skin weights at the moment. The groom is an alembic exported from xgen (interactive grooming system, the modifiers were baked down). This was done with this process : XGen Guidelines for Hair Creation | Unreal Engine Documentation ( although without the part with the scripts! Tried this, and couldn’t get them to work?)
Hair thickness is set quite high currently, as I quite like the stylisation.
Hair is currently attached by adding a groom component to the rig in the outliner. However I get the same issue by attaching it to the rig from the outliner. There is a Groom binding asset attached.
I’ve used animation from mixamo, as well as some basic animations I made in maya, they both have the same issue, and the weirdness is there regardless if I add the animation as an asset, or add it to sequencer.
Unreal version is 4.26.2 and Maya is 2020.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and do we know if there’s a solution?
Thanks so much!!! ;_;

Sorry, I don’t have an answer for your question but I was curious how you shaded it. Is the look you achieved mostly from the thickness or did you do some custom shader work, too? Really like the look of the hair you have there.