Animated Displacements with tessellation in UE5

Hi, I’m wondering if there is any way to get animated displacements and tessellation working at runtime in UE5?

I’m looking to create displacements based on animated noises and textures in a material. This used to be a really simple and effective workflow in UE4. Geometry scripts gave me a glimmer of hope but from what I can gather they are quite heavy and not really meant for runtime deformation and tessellation.

I’ve been really hoping to update some UE4 pieces to use Lumen in UE5. It seems like a bit of an oversight to totally remove the possibility of achieving what was previously possible, without an alternate workflow?

Greetings @andyo81 !

Welcome to the Unreal Engine community! :medal_sports:

Just so you’re aware, I’ve had to move this topic from the Feedback for Unreal Engine Team forum to the Asset Creation forum. I added the optional tags “UE5-0” and “materials-textures” for you. The Feedback for Unreal Engine Team forum is specifically for suggestions to improve UE.

When posting, please review the categories to ensure your topic is posted in the most relevant space.

Wishing you the best of luck in your runtime quest,

Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator :smiley:

Hello!

In order to animate world displacement and tessalation, you can use the Panner node in the material attached to a texture and connected to “World Displacement”. you can change the parameters via blueprint, or use the “Dynamic Parameters” and change them via Niagara system if you’d like to make it a particles.

Hope this helps!

hey andy! i’m trying also trying to animate a displacement in UE5 via geometry scripts - have you been able to solve it? mine displaces great, but i can’t get it to animate properly. the displacement is getting applied on top of itself every frame instead of changing the texture coordinate per frame. maybe you have an idea. so frustrating - animating displacements should be such a basic, simple thing to do. thanks in advance!!